View Single Post
Old 10-05-2008, 01:06 AM   #26 (permalink)
conradpdx
EcoModding Lurker

the Mule - '99 Dodge Dakota
90 day: 14.54 mpg (US)
Just to give you a heads up about the idea. If you live where they test for emissions (as I do) before giving you your tags be forewarned that most generators will not even come close to passing such tests, they simply aren't designed for it. Can this problem be fixed..I'm sure it can but at what cost and what kind of performance issues would putting a cad converter cause. Will your local officials overlook this aspect of the design? doubt it?

Also pay particular attention to the generators duty cycle. A generator for this kind of operation I'd assume would need at least an 80%-100% duty cycle, though I could be wrong on this. But I know I can easily burn out welding machines if I go too long on hot days when I'm at work (I'm an iron worker/welder,and I've done it at least twice in the last two or three years, and they're top of the line name brand welding machines).

I don't think doing this would work out too well as a retro fit in autos. Unless designed from the ground up for this particular power system, such as the Volt. Electric motor, batteries and a generator is a lot of extra weight (And for most ecomodder cars a decent generator would weigh about the same as the engine). It might be possible as a pick up mod, but I don't think it'd work to well for an automobile.

On second thought, you might be able to replace the driveshaft of your vehicle with a stator and connect that to your battery pack. Though now you're adding a lot of extra weight and I'm not sure it would help enough to justify the cost.

<edit> I can relate to a lot of your "rant" I've been playing with this idea myself as a mod for my work truck (after all I got a Miller Trailblazer with a 240amp plug on it that I haul around anyway), but I'm guessing it's gunna cost me at least $5,000 in gear alone (and I've connections for decent prices on used welding machines/generators). And thats not including things like getting the thing to pass DEQ tests for tags.

Don't let my post here discourage you though. I'm not a modding expert by any means. I'm just trying to help you work out the kinks in this type of system, and I hope you (or someone can pull it off--cause I don't have the time or money to experiment with such a project) though with instructions I'd do it in a heartbeat---even though my boss pays for my gas for the truck.

If we can't be free, at least we can be cheap"--- Again F. Zappa

My guilty little pleasure

Last edited by conradpdx; 10-05-2008 at 01:24 AM..