View Single Post
Old 07-27-2021, 09:55 AM   #72 (permalink)
Piotrsko
Somewhat crazed

Thanked 1,111 Times in 980 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
Type III were fuel injected from 1966. [en.wikipedia.org] so what carbs did it have Solex or Weber? My 1971 Notchback had dual 40mm Webers, but the ultimate was a single two-barrel sidedraft 44.

Original fuel injection was swapped out when the sensors became unobtainable. IIRC Type II heat sensors were available for substitution.
Had dual factory Solex with factory tin and interconnects, but unlike the early model aircleaners more like the late ghia high top stuff. If you didn't put the cleaners on exactly correct you couldnt close the lid. I dont recall the model but about a 34 choke.

In the late '80s you could still get the sensors I needed, but the one off items like the Map, high pressure fromt only fuel pump and it's harness were only available from wrecked. Remanned injectors were common, but unreliable. Still have a pair of downdraft Webber 44DCNF choked down to 36 and their manifolds and aircleaners. Car was probably converted in europe before importing because it was a very factory looking setup. It passed visual once at a place that did VW repairs.

They plug into OBD for diesel testing here because AFAIK, it is the only way to check readiness on a running OBD system. Like I said, all the diesel places won't turn off the engine. The same places do turn off gassers.

Last edited by Piotrsko; 07-27-2021 at 10:00 AM..