Thread: Orbis Wheel
View Single Post
Old 08-01-2021, 11:32 AM   #41 (permalink)
California98Civic
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IsaacCarlson View Post
... They tout less unsprung weight and then add 31 lbs to each wheel! ...
I think you missed the plausible point they make that the are replacing the entire brake rotor, caliper, and hub assembly. The claim is that unsprung weight is reduced slightly because their hub motor is slightly lighter than the parts removed. I am not saying you should believe that claim just because they make it, but you are missing half of their equation. It does seem to me they need to enclose and somehow safely ventilate that hub for sure, to reduce or eliminate road debris. That would add weight a little and degrade the superior brake cooling performance they also claim.

EDIT: sorta like what he says:
Quote:
Originally Posted by cRiPpLe_rOoStEr View Post
Let's suppose a similar mechanism could be encased within some sort of oversized brake drum, I could see it being easier to promote for usage on commercial vehicles, even in a rougher environment. On a sidenote, regenerative braking would also lead to fewer wear to the service brakes.

See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.