View Single Post
Old 08-09-2021, 09:25 AM   #105 (permalink)
Isaac Zachary
High Altitude Hybrid

Avalon - '13 Toyota Avalon HV
90 day: 40.45 mpg (US)

Prius - '06 Toyota Prius
Quote:
Originally Posted by euromodder View Post
You forgot Aerodynamics 2.0 , as the laws of physics too have progressed quite a lot since

That said, many (early) EVs could benefit from an Aero... upgrade
Say, an AeroLeaf
Beyond Tesla, many aren't that aerodynamic, greatly reducing range at speed
So they sure could use the reduced drag from being Aero'd
Everyone seems to want a 500 mile range SUV EV. Not that it isn't possible, but that requires a lot more battery, better charging and a whole host of other very expensive things.

But because of the general public's emphatuation with SUV's and CUV's that's the kind of vehicle most car companies are going for, for the most part. But there have been some who are complaining. I even heard a Tesla owner complain how he traded his Model S for a Model X with a bigger battery, but got less range.

Sandy Munro believes that success in the EV market will depend, not on who has the biggest battery, or who has the best battery tech, but who can make their vehicle the most efficient. I would add there (I'm sure he meant too), the most efficient and still be a practical vehicle that people would buy.

And it makes perfect sense to me.
  • Batteries are expensive, and packing more in a vehicle to get more range only makes it more expensive. A more effecient EV could kill two birds with one stone making it go farther with a cheaper & smaller battery.
  • A vehicle that's more efficient takes less time to charge. It's like you make all chargers faster.
  • If you can make the EV efficient enough then even charging off of a regular 120V outlet becomes feasible and practical. People who would need a major electrical upgrade or who rent their home would find it much easier to just run a 120V cord to their car than to pay a ton of money on just the "charger" or go through the ordeal of getting permission to install an expensive "charger" when it could end up not even being theirs.