Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-29-2021, 11:15 PM   #101 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
Definitely the warmer white looks better to me, but I am sure some people prefer that blueish hue from the cool white. Oh, who did you get the LEDs from?

See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 07-29-2021, 11:27 PM   #102 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

ND Miata - '15 Mazda MX-5 Special Package
90 day: 42.54 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,501 Times in 1,547 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by California98Civic View Post
Definitely the warmer white looks better to me, but I am sure some people prefer that blueish hue from the cool white. Oh, who did you get the LEDs from?
eBay special. My experience has been that LEDs with a plastic or rubberized dome seem to last better, possibly because it acts as a heat sink, and the only place I could find those was eBay.

I went ahead and ordered a pack of 10 warm white ones from Amazon. They're more expensive (still inexpensive) and hopefully they won't burn out. My search term was "74 LED warm", which brought up a grand total of one option.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ecky For This Useful Post:
California98Civic (07-30-2021)
Old 08-08-2021, 05:20 PM   #103 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The SCUD - '15 Fiat Scudo L2
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroMcAeroFace View Post
ah yes the new 200% gasoline, 200% more energy per litre. If anything, worse mpg is expected now due to the higher ethanol content they put in fuel.
You forgot Aerodynamics 2.0 , as the laws of physics too have progressed quite a lot since

That said, many (early) EVs could benefit from an Aero... upgrade
Say, an AeroLeaf
Beyond Tesla, many aren't that aerodynamic, greatly reducing range at speed
So they sure could use the reduced drag from being Aero'd

Last edited by euromodder; 08-08-2021 at 05:29 PM..
Old 08-08-2021, 06:05 PM   #104 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,554 Times in 7,041 Posts
[citation needed]

I didn't remember the post so I went to AMcA's Profile and looked at all the posts for the last month. None in this thread.

Old 08-09-2021, 09:25 AM   #105 (permalink)
High Altitude Hybrid

Avalon - '13 Toyota Avalon HV
90 day: 40.45 mpg (US)

Prius - '06 Toyota Prius
Quote:
Originally Posted by euromodder View Post
You forgot Aerodynamics 2.0 , as the laws of physics too have progressed quite a lot since

That said, many (early) EVs could benefit from an Aero... upgrade
Say, an AeroLeaf
Beyond Tesla, many aren't that aerodynamic, greatly reducing range at speed
So they sure could use the reduced drag from being Aero'd
Everyone seems to want a 500 mile range SUV EV. Not that it isn't possible, but that requires a lot more battery, better charging and a whole host of other very expensive things.

But because of the general public's emphatuation with SUV's and CUV's that's the kind of vehicle most car companies are going for, for the most part. But there have been some who are complaining. I even heard a Tesla owner complain how he traded his Model S for a Model X with a bigger battery, but got less range.

Sandy Munro believes that success in the EV market will depend, not on who has the biggest battery, or who has the best battery tech, but who can make their vehicle the most efficient. I would add there (I'm sure he meant too), the most efficient and still be a practical vehicle that people would buy.

And it makes perfect sense to me.
  • Batteries are expensive, and packing more in a vehicle to get more range only makes it more expensive. A more effecient EV could kill two birds with one stone making it go farther with a cheaper & smaller battery.
  • A vehicle that's more efficient takes less time to charge. It's like you make all chargers faster.
  • If you can make the EV efficient enough then even charging off of a regular 120V outlet becomes feasible and practical. People who would need a major electrical upgrade or who rent their home would find it much easier to just run a 120V cord to their car than to pay a ton of money on just the "charger" or go through the ordeal of getting permission to install an expensive "charger" when it could end up not even being theirs.
Old 08-11-2021, 12:13 AM   #106 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
[citation needed]

I didn't remember the post so I went to AMcA's Profile and looked at all the posts for the last month. None in this thread.
He actually linked it in his quote, but with an unusual button, not a link... here is the link: https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthre...tml#post648185
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

The Following User Says Thank You to California98Civic For This Useful Post:
freebeard (08-11-2021)
Old 08-11-2021, 01:20 AM   #107 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,554 Times in 7,041 Posts
Thanks

Permalink #21

I only went back thirty days.

Old 09-12-2021, 08:53 PM   #108 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Started working on Aerocivic again today. This time I ... well, tried, to pull the rear passenger suspension apart. Even with heat and penetrating oil, there were multiple disasters:

-The bolt holding the shock fork to the lower control arm appears to have cold-welded to the bushing, and actually bent the fork apart rather than break loose from the bushing when I unscrewed it, so Aerocivic is getting new rear shocks.

-The bolt holding the rear toe link just spun in the frame. I might try to get my welder in to put a bead on the threaded insert that's spinning. and see if I can get the bolt out.

-The bolt holding the upper control arm to the trailing arm had its head snap off, rather than unscrew, so Aerocivic might be getting new trailing arms.

-Worst of all, the bolt holding the center trailing arm bushing to the frame (the main pair of bolts holding it to the car) came halfway out then broke off in the frame of the car. I'm baffled as to what to do about this one. Drill it out and re-tap? Go up a bolt size? Weld the new bushing right to the frame, and forget about bolting it in place? That's certainly not the right way to do it, but might be what I resort to.

Yeesh. I'd leave it all alone, except the bushings are all shot.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20210912_205915598.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	40.2 KB
ID:	31245   Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20210912_215849901.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	58.8 KB
ID:	31246   Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20210912_215905594.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	72.1 KB
ID:	31247  
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ecky For This Useful Post:
101Volts (09-12-2021), Joggernot (09-15-2021), M_a_t_t (09-12-2021)
Old 09-14-2021, 04:28 PM   #109 (permalink)
High Altitude Hybrid

Avalon - '13 Toyota Avalon HV
90 day: 40.45 mpg (US)

Prius - '06 Toyota Prius
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecky View Post
Started working on Aerocivic again today. This time I ... well, tried, to pull the rear passenger suspension apart. Even with heat and penetrating oil, there were multiple disasters:

-The bolt holding the shock fork to the lower control arm appears to have cold-welded to the bushing, and actually bent the fork apart rather than break loose from the bushing when I unscrewed it, so Aerocivic is getting new rear shocks.

-The bolt holding the rear toe link just spun in the frame. I might try to get my welder in to put a bead on the threaded insert that's spinning. and see if I can get the bolt out.

-The bolt holding the upper control arm to the trailing arm had its head snap off, rather than unscrew, so Aerocivic might be getting new trailing arms.

-Worst of all, the bolt holding the center trailing arm bushing to the frame (the main pair of bolts holding it to the car) came halfway out then broke off in the frame of the car. I'm baffled as to what to do about this one. Drill it out and re-tap? Go up a bolt size? Weld the new bushing right to the frame, and forget about bolting it in place? That's certainly not the right way to do it, but might be what I resort to.

Yeesh. I'd leave it all alone, except the bushings are all shot.
Oh man! Hang in there! I know what it's like to have those kinds of things happen!

You can do it!

*\O/*
Old 09-14-2021, 04:34 PM   #110 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

I went ahead and ordered new rear shocks for both sides, and new bolts. I'm going to try drilling the one bolt out, as half the threads (the upper half) are probably still ok. I also need to figure out how to disconnect the parking brake cable from the drum.

I *might* just leave the shot main bushings in the rear trailing arms until I get the car to Michigan, maybe put some fill in them to reinforce them a bit, and replace them once there.

Reply  Post New Thread