View Single Post
Old 08-13-2021, 12:07 AM   #20 (permalink)
broski499
EcoModding Apprentice

Boltar - '19 Chevy Bolt LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vwbeamer View Post
I owned a 2013 C-Max energi. It had about 32K on it when I got it and I sold it with around 62K on it. It was an off lease when I got it and I don't believe it had ever been plugged in, going by the history shown on the dash display, which will show total EV miles. I think a lot of companies leased these just for the tax credit.

The reason I sold it was the transmission was making a noise. This was common on the 2013. there was a bearing that was undersized or didn't get enough lube IIRC. The car was under warranty, but I didn't want to mess with the dealer. They fixed the problem in the 2014 and later cars.

Pros-
Peppy acceleration. with the electric and gas motor, it's 220 ish HP IIRC.
Handles great, rides nice, super quiet.
I got 42-44 mpg around town and 38-39 on highway. Once you go past 70mpg it really starts sucking the gas down.
I could get 20-25 miles EV range, even after 50K miles, but like I said, I don't think the battery pack had been used much, and I never used the battery when the outside temps got in the 90's.
The energi's are usually loaded with all the bells and whistles.

Cons-
No storage, because of how they put the battery in. The back seat folds flat, but that didn't help much.

The Ford dealers suck. I have no doubt they can fix a F150, but there so few of these, they don't know anything about them.. I had to call the Ford hybrid divivsion and have them call the local dealer to get the center stack loaded with the correct plug in EV software. The sync system never worked correctly. Later models maybe better.

Car is hard on tires. I guess because it has small tires and is pretty heavy. Mine had Michelin energy tires, and the was worn out ay 50K. I had the same tires on my Tdi and they went 80K.

I wouldn't buy another, but it wasn't terrible. I never fell in love with it, but it was fun at times.

I would shy away from a 2013.

I paid 12K for mine in 2016

This is super helpful. With how crazy prices of used cars are right now I'm just going to wait. My 2008 Prius just hit 100,000 miles so it still has quite a bit of life left in it.

Most of the C-Max Energis I've seen are 2015 and newer. The storage isn't a huge issue. Any chance you know how well two car seats fit in the back seats?

Some have recommended the Volt but that would be too small for me. Have two littles and need easy access for car seats.

My daily commute is super short under 4 miles so any plug in hybrid will have enough battery range for me to get there and back and still have power.