View Single Post
Old 08-18-2021, 11:20 AM   #9 (permalink)
aerohead
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,227 Times in 4,654 Posts
Chevelle

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67-ls1 View Post
On an old car, in my case a 1966 Chevelle, with a horrendously shaped underbody, is it better to use an air dam to try to keep the air out or try to fab a belly pan?
I already have an air dam I’ve made for the front so would it be worth it to remove it and smooth the underbody?
The Chevelle is a full framed car with dual exhaust the full length, two relatively huge mufflers, I live rear axle. It’s a mess. It would require a LOT of framing to support it and I’d still have to leave the exhaust area open.
This is more for mpg than downforce.
Opinions?
GM's two lowest drag cars had full belly pans and no front airdam. Cd 0.137 and Cd 0.14 ( if we ignore the Cd 0.089 Sunraycer ).
A 'guess' for the '66 would be around Cd 0.51.
Today's 'Chevelle' Malibu is around Cd 0.28.
A look under a modern Malibu would say a great deal about GM's strategy for drag reduction over the decades.
HOT ROD Magazine used a full aluminum belly pan on their Cd 0.20, 200-mph Project Red Hat Camaro ( originally around Cd 0.49 ).
There are no low-drag cars without full belly pans.
You're the only one who can make the call on, how much you're willing to invest, time and moneywise.
In one example of a early- 1980s Cd 0.30 car, a full pan with 'slow' diffuser netted a delta- Cd 0.070 drag reduction.
67-ls1 (08-20-2021)