View Single Post
Old 09-14-2021, 12:20 AM   #29 (permalink)
JSH
AKA - Jason

Adventure Seeker - '04 Chevy Astro - Campervan
90 day: 17.3 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,069 Times in 1,399 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cRiPpLe_rOoStEr View Post
Looking at the EPA crackdown at some tuning shops due to them tweaking with stock emissions-control systems on Diesel trucks, I guess automakers are even more willing to avoid being held responsible for anything related to that.
Manufacturers aren't worried about getting hit with emission fines for illegal tunes. They are worried about tunes that damage engines within the warranty period and owners trying to commit warranty fraud by claiming the car is stock. As we discussed in another thread manufacturers are in an encryption arms race with turners to lock out illegal tuning and make illegal tuning permanently visible on the ECU. Right to repair advocates are pushing for laws that would require manufacturers to turn over the keys to that encryption.

I'm all for right to repair (RTR). That is to repair your car - to maintain it and keep it running in like new condition. To have access to parts, tools, and repair knowledge. I'm all for allowing work to be done by individuals or independent shops and keep warranty coverage.

I'm not for requiring manufacturers to have to make it easy to illegally modify cars or make warranty fraud easier. It is no surprise that SEMA is actively pushing legislation that would it easier for their members to make illegal tuning products. They know that the vast majority of their business is illegal mods.

I'm also not keen on making the details of OTA updates public as RTR advocates would like. Manufactures are working hard to make ever increasingly connect cars secure from hackers. It seems stupid to just give them all the code.