View Single Post
Old 09-14-2021, 01:17 AM   #30 (permalink)
Isaac Zachary
High Altitude Hybrid

Avalon - '13 Toyota Avalon HV
90 day: 40.45 mpg (US)

Prius - '06 Toyota Prius
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSH View Post
Manufacturers aren't worried about getting hit with emission fines for illegal tunes. They are worried about tunes that damage engines within the warranty period and owners trying to commit warranty fraud by claiming the car is stock. As we discussed in another thread manufacturers are in an encryption arms race with turners to lock out illegal tuning and make illegal tuning permanently visible on the ECU. Right to repair advocates are pushing for laws that would require manufacturers to turn over the keys to that encryption.

I'm all for right to repair (RTR). That is to repair your car - to maintain it and keep it running in like new condition. To have access to parts, tools, and repair knowledge. I'm all for allowing work to be done by individuals or independent shops and keep warranty coverage.

I'm not for requiring manufacturers to have to make it easy to illegally modify cars or make warranty fraud easier. It is no surprise that SEMA is actively pushing legislation that would it easier for their members to make illegal tuning products. They know that the vast majority of their business is illegal mods.

I'm also not keen on making the details of OTA updates public as RTR advocates would like. Manufactures are working hard to make ever increasingly connect cars secure from hackers. It seems stupid to just give them all the code.
Interesting. I see that would be a problem. Kind of like giving out the code to unlock cars and reprogram keys and then anyone who wants to become a car thief has suddenly got an easy way to do it.

Or like when people didn't check their tire pressure and then all got SUV's that weigh so much they destroy the tire and lose control when you don't have enough air in one. So then the OEMs have to put tire pressure monitoring systems on their vehicles. Which because of that those of us who like changing their winter and summer tires with their own rims have to either deal with a blinking tire light all winter or pay a shop to either change the rims or the sensor codes.

The point is you can't really trust even your average car owner some times. But on the other hand it's frustrating when you just want to do something that seems like it should be so simple, yet it seems impossible.

I did ask the biggest shop in town if they could change my brake fluid. They said they didn't have the tool to do it. Maybe the next town over, but the road is closed except weekends and it's 3 hours to go around.