View Single Post
Old 09-17-2021, 06:56 PM   #19 (permalink)
JSH
AKA - Jason

Adventure Seeker - '04 Chevy Astro - Campervan
90 day: 17.3 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,067 Times in 1,397 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xist View Post
I remember hearing that red diesel is the same as normal diesel, except it isn't taxed, so don't get caught with red fuel in your pickup's tank!

Who exactly would be checking and why?

Also, red has a higher sulfur content. It isn't taxed because it is prohibited from use on roads: https://www.corsefuels.com/2019/03/1...clear-vs-dyed/
Who checks for off-road diesel?

Local police, sheriff department or state police. They can dip the tank or check the fuel filter to see if it is dyed red. For heavy duty trucks they can just look at the fuel / water separator which usually have a clear housing.

Why?

It is illegal to run off-highway diesel in a road vehicle. High sulfur diesel fuel will also damage emissions equipment on vehicles designed to run on ULSD.

In Oregon the fine for running off-highway diesel on the road is up to $10,000

When I lived in Michigan it wasn't uncommon for police to set up check stations at grain elevators or sugar beet depots. Checks also happen at scales and other points were commercial trucks are checked for compliance. I've heard on diesel forums of state police setting up a checkpoint and checking all diesel vehicles (like a DUI checkpoint or motorcycle enforcement checkpoint) but haven't every seen one myself.

EDIT: Off-Highway diesel used to have a lot more sulfur than on-highway. It was 3000 ppm prior to 2007. It was 500 ppm from 2007 - 2010, and now is 15 ppm.

On-Highway diesel was 600 ppm prior to 1994. 500 ppm from 1994 to 2006 and now is 15 ppm.

The drop to 15 ppm was required for 2007 EPA emissions

Last edited by JSH; 09-17-2021 at 07:07 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to JSH For This Useful Post:
Xist (09-19-2021)