View Single Post
Old 09-22-2021, 01:42 PM   #10 (permalink)
cRiPpLe_rOoStEr
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,627 Times in 1,452 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piotrsko View Post
Whatever the successor it needs beetle traits: DIY maintenance or lack thereof, cheap parts, simple home repairs. Notice I did not mention reliable, cheap purchase,high economy.
There were times when a 2WD Jeep CJ-5 was cheaper than a Beetle in Brazil. Also didn't really had an outstanding fuel economy. Reliability usually is often pointed out as good regarding both the Beetle and the CJ-5 here, no wonder once in a while I still see a daily-driven CJ-5 and a lot of Beetles roaming around too.

Quote:
I had documents where my 72 super originally cost as much as dad's buick, and as much as my Pinto. The super got 25 city, 32 highway for 500k miles I owned it, the pinto did 28/40, hard to say on the buick since it had a tendency to smoke the tires when I drove it.
Earlier this week the owner of a 1300-L Beetle from the late-'70s told me its fuel economy was relatively good considering its age. Besides the air cooling which charges its toll on fuel-efficiency, maybe a 5th gear could be desirable to increase highway mileage too.