View Single Post
Old 10-06-2008, 06:30 PM   #78 (permalink)
rmay635703
home of the odd vehicles

Silver - '10 Chevy Cobalt XFE
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjts1 View Post
If you don't like the message, kill the messenger. Typical extremist response. I'm not the one poopooing this article. If you can afford a newer, safer car, buy it. Its far more important than fuel economy.
Totally disagree.

I have posted this before and I will post it again people should have choice in how much risk they want to take. That is why I can drive a moped or motorcycle legally if I want. (I only drive during the day or on trails) I have never had an accident with either.

Your idea that new cars are safer than all old cars holds merit in certain situations but generally you are saying everyone has to plan for a relatively unlikely incident. You must remember crash tests are generally done at speeds under 45mph, NOT 65mph+ like many fools drive.

No car has ever had decent driver 1 year survival rates on high speed accidents, PERIOD.

It sickens me everytime I see people pushing safety safety, but then fail to realize that the Survival rate of high speed accidents 65mph+ has NOT improved significantly since the 1970's. (and usually the folks touting the safety are driving 75mph) All the airbags in the world don't help a 75mph headon in the front drivers seat (which is also very unlikely). Also put in the fact that there are many deaths a year caused by airbags in lower speed accidents, especially after the fact from blood clots (as was the case with my grandmother) 25mph accident, airbag bruised the crap out of her leg and she died from bloodclots. If there was not an airbag in that car she would not have died, if she would have been sitting in a different orientation, she would not have died. The airbags causing death has not been worked out because of the variability in height, weight, etc.

Regardless of how it is put cars are dangerous and thinking a vehicle of some sort is going to save you is foolish, they are all deathtraps, its the driver that makes the difference.

Many people drive very foolishly thinking that their safety system will save them at high speeds when in fact it does very little. You may survive the accident but usually die of your injuries later. They also drive foolishly into dangerous areas at dangerous times, you can always avoid rush hour if you are willing to be patient.

So if you want to plan for failure you will find that the only reasonable way to safety is to keep your car and brakes in good shape and drive safely and seldomly avoiding the most dangerous rush hours and areas.

I have been in 3 accidents in my life. 2 were people rearending me at stoplights (no damage) and One was me rearending someone after sliding on wet leaves (no damage). You should note that I used to travel to fairs and craft shows for a living up through college and have drove millions of miles. I have never driven a safe vehicle by your estimates and I have driven through sleet, hail, 2 ft of snow as a daily occurance and I have never had an accident. I keep an eye on what other people are doing and avoid them. I also avoid dangerous roads and intersections as habit if I can.

Sadly many people don't seem to know how to drive, I am used to being on ice and snow at high speeds and I strongly disagree that most accidents can not be avoided. Generally if the accident is really unavoidable you are probably not doing something you should be and you are going to be in rough shape regardless of what you are driving.

Your advice is noted but not as important as you believe, if people want a new "safe" vehicle more power to them but the real path to safety is much harder than a vehicle upgrade. I would argue no vehicle would be the only truly safe route, if you are on the road you need to accept that there are things outside of your control and you need to realize the blatant limitations of the safety equipment that is on most cars and the blatant limitations of the way crash tests are performed.

Quote:
While amount of driving has increased by every possible metric over the last 15 years, the fatality rate per number of miles driven, total population, number of vehicles registered and number of drivers has decrease dramatically.
As far as I know that has little to do with vehicle safety or driving habits, its everything to do with improved roads and removal of 2 lane suicide roads. Most have argued the improvement would have come anyway because of the improved roads.

You are NOT as safe as you think you are.

Quote:
If you don't like the message, kill the messenger. Typical extremist response. I'm not the one poopooing this article. If you can afford a newer, safer car, buy it. Its far more important than fuel economy. I certainly didn't buy my 91 318i or my 96 volvo 850 wagon for fuel economy but I make the best of what I have. There are plenty of small safe cars being built today. Buying a geo metro purely because it gets 10 more mpg than the average small car built in the last 5 years is insane.
http://www-nrd.nhtsa.dot.gov/databas...abase=V&type=R
http://www-nrd.nhtsa.dot.gov/databas...abase=V&type=R

If it all comes down to cautious driving, why have car makers put so much effort into airbags, brakes, ABS, structural rigidity, stability control, seat belt pretensioners, etc in the last 15 years? I absolutely agree that driving habits are extremely important to over all safety. But even the safest driver won't be able to avoid every accident. While amount of driving has increased by every possible metric over the last 15 years, the fatality rate per number of miles driven, total population, number of vehicles registered and number of drivers has decrease dramatically.
FARS Encyclopedia
Are we supposed to believe that drivers today are that much more cautious and all the technological advancements were a waste of time? I don't think so.

I'm not pushing anyone to ride a motorcycle bud. Certainly not to take their kids to school or commute in stop and go traffic every single day. If you have a point to make about motorcycles, make it.

No problem.
High strength steel for safety: Japanese automakers use high strength steel and new crash technology to make small cars safer | Automotive Industries | Find Articles at BNET
High-Strength Steels Advance in Cars - 2007-03-22 07:37:00 - Design News
AUTOSTEEL | ULSAB: Working High-Strength Steel into Automotive Design

Last edited by rmay635703; 10-06-2008 at 08:31 PM..