Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > General Efficiency Discussion
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-06-2008, 01:50 PM   #71 (permalink)
Wannabe greenie

The Clunker (retired) - '90 Honda Accord EX sedan
Team Honda
90 day: 29.49 mpg (US)

Mountain Goat - '96 Ford Ranger XLT 4x4 SuperCab
90 day: 18 mpg (US)

Zippy - '10 Kymco Agility 125
90 day: 65.03 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyIan View Post
So when does it end? 4 years after you buy this econo car, something will be far better then. You could buy that level of safety now with a new Volvo now but it will be $25k.

A new car is better, but I'd argue that driving defensively is a far greater factor than what car you have in determining your odds of making it home.
Ian
True, but I'm not talking about buying a big hulk so I can confidently watch TV while driving. I'm talking about replacing an old car with 310,000 miles (by the time I'm ready to buy a new car) with a significantly safer car, which also has a combined average 9 mpg higher.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 10-06-2008, 02:51 PM   #72 (permalink)
Depends on the Day

Teggy - '98 Acura Integra LS
Sports Cars
90 day: 32.74 mpg (US)

IMA - '10 Honda Insight EX
Team Honda
90 day: 34.76 mpg (US)

Tessie - '06 Acura TSX Base
90 day: 28.2 mpg (US)
Well **** FE then!

I'm going out today and buy a brand new Ford Super Duty F-350 just in case -- yeah, the one with the V-10. I might need to accelerate out of a dangerous situation!

This is where this thread is heading. Just a friendly reminder

RH77

_
_
Old 10-06-2008, 03:00 PM   #73 (permalink)
Wannabe greenie

The Clunker (retired) - '90 Honda Accord EX sedan
Team Honda
90 day: 29.49 mpg (US)

Mountain Goat - '96 Ford Ranger XLT 4x4 SuperCab
90 day: 18 mpg (US)

Zippy - '10 Kymco Agility 125
90 day: 65.03 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RH77 View Post
Well **** FE then!

I'm going out today and buy a brand new Ford Super Duty F-350 just in case -- yeah, the one with the V-10. I might need to accelerate out of a dangerous situation!

This is where this thread is heading. Just a friendly reminder

RH77
Are you posting in the right thread? I'm pretty sure that nobody has advocated buying larger vehicles. In fact, it's the new safety and crash standards that makes a new 37 mpg Yaris safer than pretty much any large car from the early 90's.

Old 10-06-2008, 03:04 PM   #74 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Camryaro - '92 Toyota Camry LE V6
90 day: 31.12 mpg (US)

Red - '00 Honda Insight

Prius - '05 Toyota Prius

3 - '18 Tesla Model 3
90 day: 152.47 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjts1 View Post
Yeah. Lets just hope the other drivers on the road are just as good at defensive driving as you are.
One of the key points of defensive driving is to assume the other drivers on the road aren't as safe at it as you are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikipedia
Safe driving is a form of training for motor vehicle drivers that goes beyond mastery of the rules of the road and the basic mechanics of driving. Its aim is to reduce the risk of driving by anticipating dangerous situations, despite adverse conditions or the mistakes of others.
Old 10-06-2008, 03:13 PM   #75 (permalink)
Depends on the Day

Teggy - '98 Acura Integra LS
Sports Cars
90 day: 32.74 mpg (US)

IMA - '10 Honda Insight EX
Team Honda
90 day: 34.76 mpg (US)

Tessie - '06 Acura TSX Base
90 day: 28.2 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clev View Post
Are you posting in the right thread? I'm pretty sure that nobody has advocated buying larger vehicles. In fact, it's the new safety and crash standards that makes a new 37 mpg Yaris safer than pretty much any large car from the early 90's.
Yup, it's redux. The path will eventually wind its way to "size matters" when comparing new vehicles to one another.

RH77

_
_
Old 10-06-2008, 04:52 PM   #76 (permalink)
Renaissance Man

Aegean C - '17 Honda Civic LX
90 day: 42.48 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RH77 View Post
Well **** FE then!

Quoted for tasteful (and welcome) use of sarcasm

Old 10-06-2008, 06:20 PM   #77 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The Guzzler - '08 Hyundai Elantra GL
90 day: 33.12 mpg (US)

Got Soul? - '11 Kia Soul 2U
In the video tjts1 posted, regarding the insurance instute tests:

"For a particular driver, how many miles would they have to drive to have that type of crash? How many years of driving? 65 thousand years of driving, that's how rare this is."

Listen from 3:45 on.

www.HyperKilometreur.com - Quand chaque goutte compte...
Old 10-06-2008, 06:30 PM   #78 (permalink)
home of the odd vehicles

Silver - '10 Chevy Cobalt XFE
Quote:
If you don't like the message, kill the messenger. Typical extremist response. I'm not the one poopooing this article. If you can afford a newer, safer car, buy it. Its far more important than fuel economy.
Totally disagree.

I have posted this before and I will post it again people should have choice in how much risk they want to take. That is why I can drive a moped or motorcycle legally if I want. (I only drive during the day or on trails) I have never had an accident with either.

Your idea that new cars are safer than all old cars holds merit in certain situations but generally you are saying everyone has to plan for a relatively unlikely incident. You must remember crash tests are generally done at speeds under 45mph, NOT 65mph+ like many fools drive.

No car has ever had decent driver 1 year survival rates on high speed accidents, PERIOD.

It sickens me everytime I see people pushing safety safety, but then fail to realize that the Survival rate of high speed accidents 65mph+ has NOT improved significantly since the 1970's. (and usually the folks touting the safety are driving 75mph) All the airbags in the world don't help a 75mph headon in the front drivers seat (which is also very unlikely). Also put in the fact that there are many deaths a year caused by airbags in lower speed accidents, especially after the fact from blood clots (as was the case with my grandmother) 25mph accident, airbag bruised the crap out of her leg and she died from bloodclots. If there was not an airbag in that car she would not have died, if she would have been sitting in a different orientation, she would not have died. The airbags causing death has not been worked out because of the variability in height, weight, etc.

Regardless of how it is put cars are dangerous and thinking a vehicle of some sort is going to save you is foolish, they are all deathtraps, its the driver that makes the difference.

Many people drive very foolishly thinking that their safety system will save them at high speeds when in fact it does very little. You may survive the accident but usually die of your injuries later. They also drive foolishly into dangerous areas at dangerous times, you can always avoid rush hour if you are willing to be patient.

So if you want to plan for failure you will find that the only reasonable way to safety is to keep your car and brakes in good shape and drive safely and seldomly avoiding the most dangerous rush hours and areas.

I have been in 3 accidents in my life. 2 were people rearending me at stoplights (no damage) and One was me rearending someone after sliding on wet leaves (no damage). You should note that I used to travel to fairs and craft shows for a living up through college and have drove millions of miles. I have never driven a safe vehicle by your estimates and I have driven through sleet, hail, 2 ft of snow as a daily occurance and I have never had an accident. I keep an eye on what other people are doing and avoid them. I also avoid dangerous roads and intersections as habit if I can.

Sadly many people don't seem to know how to drive, I am used to being on ice and snow at high speeds and I strongly disagree that most accidents can not be avoided. Generally if the accident is really unavoidable you are probably not doing something you should be and you are going to be in rough shape regardless of what you are driving.

Your advice is noted but not as important as you believe, if people want a new "safe" vehicle more power to them but the real path to safety is much harder than a vehicle upgrade. I would argue no vehicle would be the only truly safe route, if you are on the road you need to accept that there are things outside of your control and you need to realize the blatant limitations of the safety equipment that is on most cars and the blatant limitations of the way crash tests are performed.

Quote:
While amount of driving has increased by every possible metric over the last 15 years, the fatality rate per number of miles driven, total population, number of vehicles registered and number of drivers has decrease dramatically.
As far as I know that has little to do with vehicle safety or driving habits, its everything to do with improved roads and removal of 2 lane suicide roads. Most have argued the improvement would have come anyway because of the improved roads.

You are NOT as safe as you think you are.

Quote:
If you don't like the message, kill the messenger. Typical extremist response. I'm not the one poopooing this article. If you can afford a newer, safer car, buy it. Its far more important than fuel economy. I certainly didn't buy my 91 318i or my 96 volvo 850 wagon for fuel economy but I make the best of what I have. There are plenty of small safe cars being built today. Buying a geo metro purely because it gets 10 more mpg than the average small car built in the last 5 years is insane.
http://www-nrd.nhtsa.dot.gov/databas...abase=V&type=R
http://www-nrd.nhtsa.dot.gov/databas...abase=V&type=R

If it all comes down to cautious driving, why have car makers put so much effort into airbags, brakes, ABS, structural rigidity, stability control, seat belt pretensioners, etc in the last 15 years? I absolutely agree that driving habits are extremely important to over all safety. But even the safest driver won't be able to avoid every accident. While amount of driving has increased by every possible metric over the last 15 years, the fatality rate per number of miles driven, total population, number of vehicles registered and number of drivers has decrease dramatically.
FARS Encyclopedia
Are we supposed to believe that drivers today are that much more cautious and all the technological advancements were a waste of time? I don't think so.

I'm not pushing anyone to ride a motorcycle bud. Certainly not to take their kids to school or commute in stop and go traffic every single day. If you have a point to make about motorcycles, make it.

No problem.
High strength steel for safety: Japanese automakers use high strength steel and new crash technology to make small cars safer | Automotive Industries | Find Articles at BNET
High-Strength Steels Advance in Cars - 2007-03-22 07:37:00 - Design News
AUTOSTEEL | ULSAB: Working High-Strength Steel into Automotive Design

Last edited by rmay635703; 10-06-2008 at 08:31 PM..
Old 10-06-2008, 07:17 PM   #79 (permalink)
CAUTION: May Stink!!!

BDC's Honda CiViC HX/Si - '98 Honda CiViC HX/Si (HX Shell/Si Swap)
90 day: 40.56 mpg (US)
Send a message via ICQ to BlackDeuceCoupe Send a message via AIM to BlackDeuceCoupe Send a message via MSN to BlackDeuceCoupe Send a message via Yahoo to BlackDeuceCoupe
Having watched the videos above - I'll have to say...

In all my years of driving - certainly a million miles or more - I've only been involved in 4 accidents - NONE OF THEM MY FAULT - and they were ALL rear end collisions.

What do you think of this type of device?
Old 10-06-2008, 08:06 PM   #80 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The Guzzler - '08 Hyundai Elantra GL
90 day: 33.12 mpg (US)

Got Soul? - '11 Kia Soul 2U
BDC, I've been rear ended once, and the product in the video you showed probably would have saved my 600 bucks, given the hitch would not have teared the trunk floor on impact in my car. Had I been hit by a pickup or SUV it would have been useless though, as the device would not be at the appropriate height.

www.HyperKilometreur.com - Quand chaque goutte compte...
Reply  Post New Thread