View Single Post
Old 09-29-2021, 02:12 PM   #8 (permalink)
Xist
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 30.54 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,708 Posts
The mechanic in the video said that it was also "Whitesmoking" and kept saying the oil looked like pancake syrup, but that would be the non-sludge parts of the oil.

He pinned a comment saying
Quote:
If you have a vehicle that idles a lot like this there are multiple things that could go wrong such as your DPF system could fail and that's $5,000 minimum and a waiting list to even get the entire exhaust treatment system.
Also:
Quote:
If you know your vehicle is going to be idling a lot and you're not getting it on the road you can't do this 15000 mile standard diesel oil change it doesn't work you need to start doing your oil changes by about 7,500 miles and you should periodically run some kind of motor flush through the system and it would be nice once or twice a week to get the vehicle out on the road and running at highway speeds so the aftertreatment system can actually do its job.
An RJ Cormac responded:
Quote:
Ford released a guide to help owners that let's stupid kids drive.
https://www.powerstrokediesel.com/do..._Intervals.pdf
"One hour of idle time, is equal to ~25 miles of driving. If a Power Stroke vehicle averages 6 hours of idle time per day, its maintenance schedule would look different based on engine hours instead of just the miles driven, the oil change interval would be ~30 day cycle."
25 equivalent miles per hour x 6 hours per day x 20 days = 3,000 equivalent miles per month--unless the auction lot runs 7 days a week, then 4,200 miles.

Remember the girlfriend who drove my Subaru?

I still wish that everything went differently. Anyway, one time we were visiting her grandparents and someone left their truck idling in the street. This was the Phoenix area, so they were probably keeping their air conditioning going, but I see people idling up here when the weather seems nice.

That girlfriend later told me that the car was old, so it needed to idle to warm up before she drove it. Of course, she may have been idling it to warm up the car during our infamous Arizonan winters (called spring or fall everywhere else).

Someone commented that idling isn't good for anything, you just drive gently until it is warmed up.

I understand wanting your car to be comfortable before you get in, but I have always been a huge advocate of insulated garages. In Phoenix it would help keep your paint from fading and here it would keep the snow and ice off.