View Single Post
Old 09-30-2021, 05:11 PM   #18 (permalink)
JSH
AKA - Jason

Adventure Seeker - '04 Chevy Astro - Campervan
90 day: 17.3 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,069 Times in 1,399 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpg_numbers_guy View Post
Ford C-Max, Hyundai Ioniq, Rav4 Prime, maybe the new Honda Insight if having a hatchback isn't a huge priority.
A hatchback is a huge priority. This vehicle has to carry 4 adults (5’9” – 6’3”) with a week of backpacking gear in the summer and ski gear in the winter
  • The C-Max specs say it has 5.5” of ground clearance but looking at the rubber air dams around the tires it really has about 4”.
  • The Hyundai Ioniq has 5.3” of ground clearance and is dreadfully slow
  • A RAV4 Prime is AWESOME – but realistic about $50,000 to buy if you can find one
  • A Honda Insight is not a hatchback or wagon and isn’t going to carry 4 loaded backpacks. Nice car though for someone that wants a sedan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSH View Post
A reminder of what I’m looking for:
  • A reasonably fuel efficient wagon or hatchback.
  • Not super slow (0-60 in 8 seconds or less)
  • Fit 210 cm skis either inside or on a roof carrier.
  • 6 inches of ground clearance - min
  • 30 mpg combined minimum
  • Less than 7 years old
  • $20K budget

This is a picture from last weekend. This is a typical forest service road here in Oregon. I stopped to check if I was going to make it over that 6-7” flat rock I’m straddling. Even if the road is graded smooth they still have water bars which are 12 inch deep trenches at an angle across the road for water runoff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac Zachary View Post

Nissan Leaf?
Nope - needs to travel hundreds of miles from home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac Zachary View Post
Doing a lookup of +30mpg, 2014 or newer, hatch or wagon, under $20,000 shows up these results:

Nissan Rogue
Jeep Cherokee
Buick Encore
Subaru Forester
Ford Escape
Hyndai Tucson
Chervorlet Equinox
Toyota RAV4
Honda CR-V
Unfortunately that list is highway mileage and I'm looking for combined 30 mpg or above. This vehicle will drive more city miles than highway.

However the Rogue Hybrid is above 30 mpg (another car I forgot existed) as is the last generation RAV4 Hybrid. The Subaru Forester is a taller / shorter Outback that gets worse fuel mileage. If I buy a Subaru it will likely be an Outback. (Positives - roomy with good ground clearance and AWD / Negatives: 25 mpg in the city and SLOW)

The Equinox Diesel is rated above 30 mpg combined but I really don't want another diesel and the hassles involved.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Van.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	134.4 KB
ID:	31320  

Last edited by JSH; 09-30-2021 at 05:42 PM..