Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Off-Topic > The Lounge
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-29-2021, 10:34 AM   #11 (permalink)
Growin a stash

A Ford hatchback would do well too, I believe. Get the Focus RS if speed >> fuel economy.

2024 Chevy Bolt

Previous:
2015 Nissan Leaf S, 164 mpge
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 09-29-2021, 10:50 AM   #12 (permalink)
JSH
AKA - Jason

Adventure Seeker - '04 Chevy Astro - Campervan
90 day: 17.3 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,067 Times in 1,397 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piotrsko View Post
Hydrolocking sounds like filled up intercooler. There was a recall for that. Dealers.don't like that one.
Correct. It iced up while I was cross-country skiing more than 100 miles from home. The car cranked about a 1/2 revolution and stopped. I originally thought the battery was low and jumped it. It started after a couple of tries.

The fix is not a recall (mandatory) it is a service bulletin (at dealer's discretion). The dealer said unless I have the car towed in hydrolocked they won't do anything for that TSB. (The other local dealer I called said the same thing) From threads over on TDIClub it also appear the "fix" doesn't actually work 100%.
Old 09-30-2021, 08:26 AM   #13 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Toby - '13 Toyota Prius C
90 day: 61.95 mpg (US)

Daz - '15 Mazda 3 iTouring w/ Tech Package
90 day: 38.2 mpg (US)
Ford C-Max, Hyundai Ioniq, Rav4 Prime, maybe the new Honda Insight if having a hatchback isn't a huge priority.

2015 Mazda 3 iTouring Hatchback w/ Tech Package (wife's car)
Old 09-30-2021, 10:22 AM   #14 (permalink)
Somewhat crazed

Thanked 1,112 Times in 981 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSH View Post
Correct. It iced up while I was cross-country skiing more than 100 miles from home. The car cranked about a 1/2 revolution and stopped. I originally thought the battery was low and jumped it. It started after a couple of tries.

The fix is not a recall (mandatory) it is a service bulletin (at dealer's discretion). The dealer said unless I have the car towed in hydrolocked they won't do anything for that TSB. (The other local dealer I called said the same thing) From threads over on TDIClub it also appear the "fix" doesn't actually work 100%.
On my 13 it was for specific locations which they did during an annual service changing the airfilter. on the 14 with the supposedly revised airbox inlet flapper it was a TSB if they ever found water inclusion in the airbox which they always do. Better to have a lower grill inlet block and the 1/16 drill drain in the intercooler downpipe. Nope it doesn't improve stuff, but it does pee indicator fluids on the floor. The TDI forum said my TDI was going to self destruct soon because of that drain hole. I am still waiting after all this time.
Old 09-30-2021, 11:51 AM   #15 (permalink)
Too many cars

CRXFi - '88 Honda CRX XFi

Insight 256 - '00 Honda Insight
Team Honda
Gen-1 Insights

Insight 5342 (no IMA) - '00 Honda Insight
Team Honda
Gen-1 Insights
90 day: 66.3 mpg (US)
Newer Subarus get about 30 combined. What about a Corolla Hatchback or Scion iM? Honda HR-V?
2006 Honda Insight (parts car)
1988 Honda CRXFi
1994 Geo Metro

Old 09-30-2021, 01:07 PM   #16 (permalink)
High Altitude Hybrid

Avalon - '13 Toyota Avalon HV
90 day: 40.45 mpg (US)

Prius - '06 Toyota Prius
Prius... slow, ugly, low ground clearance, but is a hatchback.

Prius c has higher ground clearance (6 inches) but is still slow (more than 10 seconds).

Camry or Avalon hybrid. Not as slow or ugly, but not a hatchback (7.4 seconds in bigger Avalon HV 2014) nor high ground clearance. https://www.motortrend.com/reviews/2...id-first-test/

Nissan Leaf?

Doing a lookup of +30mpg, 2014 or newer, hatch or wagon, under $20,000 shows up these results:

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...&numRecords=25

Nissan Rogue
Jeep Cherokee
Buick Encore
Subaru Forester
Ford Escape
Hyndai Tucson
Chervorlet Equinox
Toyota RAV4
Honda CR-V
Old 09-30-2021, 04:17 PM   #17 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,627 Times in 1,452 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac Zachary View Post
If I ever got a diesel again I'd wrap the whole exhaust system past the last catalytic converter and put the hottest block heater on I could get.
That would most likely be a good way to extend the life of the DPF, decreasing the amount of soot accumulation and the need for active regen.
Old 09-30-2021, 05:11 PM   #18 (permalink)
JSH
AKA - Jason

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpg_numbers_guy View Post
Ford C-Max, Hyundai Ioniq, Rav4 Prime, maybe the new Honda Insight if having a hatchback isn't a huge priority.
A hatchback is a huge priority. This vehicle has to carry 4 adults (5’9” – 6’3”) with a week of backpacking gear in the summer and ski gear in the winter
  • The C-Max specs say it has 5.5” of ground clearance but looking at the rubber air dams around the tires it really has about 4”.
  • The Hyundai Ioniq has 5.3” of ground clearance and is dreadfully slow
  • A RAV4 Prime is AWESOME – but realistic about $50,000 to buy if you can find one
  • A Honda Insight is not a hatchback or wagon and isn’t going to carry 4 loaded backpacks. Nice car though for someone that wants a sedan.

Quote:
A reminder of what I’m looking for:
  • A reasonably fuel efficient wagon or hatchback.
  • Not super slow (0-60 in 8 seconds or less)
  • Fit 210 cm skis either inside or on a roof carrier.
  • 6 inches of ground clearance - min
  • 30 mpg combined minimum
  • Less than 7 years old
  • $20K budget

This is a picture from last weekend. This is a typical forest service road here in Oregon. I stopped to check if I was going to make it over that 6-7” flat rock I’m straddling. Even if the road is graded smooth they still have water bars which are 12 inch deep trenches at an angle across the road for water runoff.

Quote:

Nissan Leaf?
Nope - needs to travel hundreds of miles from home

Quote:
Doing a lookup of +30mpg, 2014 or newer, hatch or wagon, under $20,000 shows up these results:

Nissan Rogue
Jeep Cherokee
Buick Encore
Subaru Forester
Ford Escape
Hyndai Tucson
Chervorlet Equinox
Toyota RAV4
Honda CR-V
Unfortunately that list is highway mileage and I'm looking for combined 30 mpg or above. This vehicle will drive more city miles than highway.

However the Rogue Hybrid is above 30 mpg (another car I forgot existed) as is the last generation RAV4 Hybrid. The Subaru Forester is a taller / shorter Outback that gets worse fuel mileage. If I buy a Subaru it will likely be an Outback. (Positives - roomy with good ground clearance and AWD / Negatives: 25 mpg in the city and SLOW)

The Equinox Diesel is rated above 30 mpg combined but I really don't want another diesel and the hassles involved.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Van.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	134.4 KB
ID:	31320  

Last edited by JSH; 09-30-2021 at 05:42 PM..
Old 09-30-2021, 06:06 PM   #19 (permalink)
JSH
AKA - Jason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gasoline Fumes View Post
Newer Subarus get about 30 combined. What about a Corolla Hatchback or Scion iM? Honda HR-V?
The only Subaru (wagon or hatch) that gets 30 mpg combined is the older Crosstrek hybrid, the Impreza hatch, and the 2020 and newer Crosstrek.

The hybrid is rare but the Impreza hatch might work - if it has enough ground clearance. (EDIT: it does not - only 5.1 inches)

The Scion iM is another car I forgot existed - Thanks.

Are they super slow - need to check (EDIT - they are 9.9 seconds to 60 mph)

EDIT: The newer Corolla Hatch is roomer and quicker than the iM but still only has 5.1 inches of ground clearance while the sedan has 6.7. Apparently Toyota thinks if someone want the practicality of a hatchback they are going to race VW GTIs

Last edited by JSH; 09-30-2021 at 06:30 PM..
Old 09-30-2021, 06:33 PM   #20 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Volt, gas only - '12 Chevrolet Volt Premium
90 day: 38.02 mpg (US)

Volt, electric only - '12 Chevrolet Volt Premium
90 day: 132.26 mpg (US)

Yukon Denali Hybrid - '12 GMC Yukon Denali Hybrid
90 day: 21.48 mpg (US)
Quote:
The only Subaru (wagon or hatch) that gets 30 mpg combined is the older Crosstrek hybrid, the Impreza hatch, and the 2020 and newer Crosstrek.

The hybrid is rare but the Impreza hatch might work - if it has enough ground clearance. (EDIT: it does not - only 5.1 inches)

The Scion iM is another car I forgot existed - Thanks.

Are they super slow - need to check (EDIT - they are 9.9 seconds to 60 mph)

EDIT: The newer Corolla Hatch is roomer and quicker than the iM but still only has 5.1 inches of ground clearance while the sedan has 6.7. Apparently Toyota thinks if someone want the practicality of a hatchback they are going to race VW GTIs
If you do go the Subaru route, off roading modifications are popular so I'm sure you could find a small lift kit.

Reply  Post New Thread