View Single Post
Old 11-05-2021, 12:55 PM   #134 (permalink)
aerohead
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,228 Times in 4,655 Posts
notchback mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacobLeSann View Post
Here’s some ideas:

Not to scale or fully fleshed out, just ideas. I want to try and use a sort of Kamm tail extension on the rear instead of a boat tail. I’m hoping a slight extension with a sharp separation edge will make an impact on FE. Would suck if a cyclist rear-ended me, lol.

I’ll be building custom mirrors or modifying 80’s Chevette mirrors. Removing them makes sense, but I prefer to have them.

I’m considering fender-mounted mirrors. Used on many vintage cars, as well as some modern Rocket Bunny-esque builds. How come that’s not a common mod? You’re taking the mirror away from the A pillar, which is an important area for airflow. Beyond fender-mounts, mirrors like the RX7 FD have seem to be a good design.

Other question: Julian Edgar talks about a design of underbody panel that can use an adjustable dump for the engine bay’s air. He says that with the dump shut, air can fill the engine bay and created a pressurized pocket that would act as a grille block. Has this been done? I’d love to know.
* The notchback has the most complex flow patterns of all body types, so it's difficult to nail down predictions.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
* From memory, I believe that the variable-geometry engine bay extractor nozzle came from Land Rover SUV research.
* With a fully-open cooling system inlet, we have no verification that all vehicles would respond the same way as the single test vehicle.
* A concern would be that, by creating only the exit restriction, with wide-open stagnation pressure air in front of it, it might simply create a high-velocity jet of air, which if it 'overshot' the departure from the body, could create a local, unwanted air-curtain, playing havoc with the surrounding flow.
* Current practice is to regulate the cooling air volume at the radiator.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
* The front wheel-arch gap-fillers are a 'go.'
* The deflector preceding the windshield may already be in a separation bubble, with the air already deflected.
* Underbody wheel fairings are used on all the lowest drag vehicles, so anything there is 'way out ahead of nothing.'
* Rear skirts are definitely a 'go.'
* The rear boot/ trunk lid height may have already been optimized and flow 'saturated.' ( impossible to know without testing results published by the manufacturer, or independent testing )
* Lengthening the rear is 'historically' something always done for drag reduction. You want the flow attached, while gently reducing the body cross-section ( top, sides, and bottom ) moving rearwards, regaining pressure as you go. Some carmakers will add extended flying-C-pillars, which help limit and guide the flow. ( Lotus, Lamborghini, Ferrari, Pontiac Fiero, etc.. )
* The diffuser, as shown, may be problematic for drag, but good for high-speed stability. ( at Bonneville, by closing off this type of steeper ramp, I gained top speed in my CRX )
* All your mirror ideas look good.
JacobLeSann (11-05-2021)