View Single Post
Old 10-07-2008, 08:44 PM   #15 (permalink)
Matt Herring
Master EcoModder

Bone's 2010 Prius - '10 Toyota Prius Black
90 day: 56.78 mpg (US)
Bennelson,

I was thinking more that while GM would try to keep the Volt at a reasonable MSRP that the actual dealerships would be the ones marking up the cars based on the tax credit.

Kind of like when buying a car at a dealership and you having a trade-in the sales guys will always offer more for your trade than you think it is worth but then have less wiggle room on the drop in the sticker price. In the end, it ends up being the same discount on sticker whether they offer more for your trade and less off the sticker or vice versa.

Also, I was bummed to see the weight of the car as a factor in the tax credit. The government could have done anything they wanted with the EV tax credit and they screwed it up by adding that stipulation and a few others (obviously influenced by GM).

I can't wait for 5-6 years down the road when every major auto maker and a few smaller ones have higher-quality PHEV's on the market and they actually have to compete to sell a car (with lower prices and better comforts). As it stands now, GM will make a bundle of money with an expensive, soon-to-be-surpassed car and then get run over by all the other higher-quality PHEV's from other auto makers. Depressing...but that's the "take the money and run" American companies motto these days.