View Single Post
Old 11-12-2021, 06:19 PM   #8 (permalink)
aerohead
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,219 Times in 4,646 Posts
heat resistant

Quote:
Originally Posted by kach22i View Post
I have a 1977 Porsche 911 targa that about 6 years ago I used that tootsie roll like steel stick and JB Weld to plug up some holes in the rear aluminum bumper.

Holes varied in size from 1/4" on small trim to 1/2" for bumperette posts.

Car has sat for the last 5 years, getting it on the road soon after doing a lot of brake related things.

The heat the air-cooled rear engine gives off perhaps makes this situation unique.

Overall I say the epoxy method works but is less than perfect. I can no longer tell where the holes were but it's just a gray primer on now, distortions may show up on a finish coat.

I have other modifications I want to do to the bumper, much more ambitious, so I have been looking at products specifically made for aluminum.

They cost about 10x's more but cheaper than welding.

Has anyone worked with something like the below before?

To what end?

Devcon 10610 Aluminum Putty 1 lb.

Hy-Poxy Systems, Inc.

I want to work with the bumper on the car, hence I'm shy about welding. Welding/brazing is a skill set and tool set I lack plus I'm on a budget. This is NOT a rust removal project or sheet metal project.

Looking for cold solutions better than bondo because future project will require strength, sticking power and act as small gap filler.

Must be heat resistant, the two products listed have HVAC and engine applications listed.
I repaired a thrown-connecting-rod hole in the block of a 1961 Rambler American flathead-6, with a sheet of cured fiberglass, attached with JB-WELD, and drove for 1-1/2 years before selling, when I went overseas.
Like Astronaut Mark Whatney's duct tape, 'fiberglass and epoxy are magic, and should be worshipped.'