View Single Post
Old 01-23-2008, 02:14 PM   #1 (permalink)
elhigh
Master Novice

Josie - '87 Toyota Pickup
90 day: 40.02 mpg (US)

Felicia - '09 Toyota Prius Base
90 day: 49.62 mpg (US)
Pulse Plugs: Bogus or bonus?

I've seen these so-called "pulse" sparkplugs advertised here and there, and also checked them out on the web. I can't find much in the way of reviews or testimonials about them. Does anybody know more, or has anyone on the forum tried them out?

I'm guessing they aren't cheap. Those slick ads cost money, so the scratch for the advertising has to come from somewhere. I want to know if I want to help pay for the ad.

According to the fuzzy ad copy, the plug generates a "pulse" instead of a typical spark, which I'm guessing is either a) an even more powerful spark powered by the circuitry contained within the plug itself, or b) a bigger, juicier high-amperage plasma jet that is fired by the plug's circuitry after the spark gap is ionized by the conventional ignition system.

Again according to the ad copy, the pulse is supposed to be hotter and bigger, but I don't recall seeing any mention of the spark's duration, which seems important to me. I'm also curious as to whether it might do damage to a multi-spark ignition system.

Lead or follow. Either is fine.