View Single Post
Old 10-08-2008, 08:12 PM   #7 (permalink)
bennelson
EV test pilot

Electric Cycle - '81 Kawasaki KZ440
90 day: 334.6 mpg (US)

S10 - '95 Chevy S10
90 day: 30.48 mpg (US)

Electro-Metro - '96 Ben Nelson's "Electro-Metro"
90 day: 129.81 mpg (US)

The Wife's Car - Plug-in Prius - '04 Toyota Prius
90 day: 78.16 mpg (US)
Actually, when people ask me how fast my electric car can go, I really do plan to respond with "fast enough to get a speeding ticket!"

I just won't mention what the posted limit was.

I will get a stopwatch and do a zero to 30 for you on Friday. (Won't be available at all in daylight tomorrow.) Which gear do you want me to do that in? (no, you can't pick 1st or 5th!)

I did a bunch or running around today. I dropped Kristin off at carpool this morning, went to my office, library, and bread store, met with another local EVer and showed him my car, then picked up Kristin from carpool.

I could see the voltage plummeting when we we about a half mile from home. I actually pulled over for just a minute to let the batteries rest, which was fine, because we happened to pull over right in front of a field of deer! Entertainment while the batteries breath!

Was back on the road four minutes later, but it did give me a chance to find out what the car's range was.

Ready for this?

It's 20 miles - exactly.

I think one of the radiator position batteries is bad, I will try replacing it this weekend, see if that helps.

I have also heard to baby your batteries for the first while so that they get gently broken in and actually increase your range a bit.

This is only using 6 12V 100ah batteries. If I doubled up the batteries, I would have a 30+ mile range no problem. I would also need to learn about beefing up suspension and brakes!

I did have another "EV First" today as well. When I was coming out of the store, I automatically looked for my car in the lot. My brain wasn't looking for my truck, or my old car, or even the electric car - just my car.

Hows that for a change of thought?

PS: when the officer asked if I knew how fast I was going, I almost answered in AMPs!

I also installed a rubber bushing (piece of old hose!) between the motor end mount and the bolt through the original engine mounting point. This made the big "kalunk!" noise go away that happened every time I pulled away from a dead stop. That's what I was testing when I got the speeding ticket.

300mpg.org Learn how to BUILD YOUR OWN ELECTRIC CAR CHEAP
My YouTube Videos