Thread: Trucks and Snow
View Single Post
Old 12-28-2021, 07:15 PM   #1 (permalink)
redpoint5
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Mazda CX-5 - '17 Mazda CX-5 Touring
90 day: 26.68 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD
Thanked 4,390 Times in 3,364 Posts
Trucks and Snow

Rant-

I don't know if it's simply confirmation bias, but it snowed Christmas evening and the next day it seemed like everyone was driving trucks. My small town already has more trucks than a typical city, but it just seemed like there were even more as a percent of vehicles on the road than typical.

Trucks are the worst in snow, and we only got a couple inches, so it's not like the clearance was needed. Do people have a misconception about the capabilities of trucks and snow? There were people with mud tires sliding around and going slow, meanwhile I'm behind these people wanting to drive faster in the Mazda CX-5 with winter rated tires. I was stuck doing 20 MPH in a 55 last night behind a line of trucks.

Mom said she saw a truck trying to reverse up a hill. Finally they turned around and just drove forward up the hill. Were they thinking they had turned their truck into a front wheel drive vehicle by going in reverse, and did they think front wheel drive is somehow better?

Do people tend to drive their trucks when it snows instead of their commuter vehicles?

Do people believe trucks are more capable in the snow?

Anyhow, annoyed at all the sucky trucks sucking in the snow lately. That said, I did take the truck out when it snowed, but took country roads nobody else was on, and I did it specifically because it was more fun to drive the sucky truck in the snow, sliding around everywhere and presenting challenges climbing some hills.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!

Last edited by redpoint5; 12-28-2021 at 08:07 PM..