View Single Post
Old 01-05-2022, 09:24 PM   #15 (permalink)
Ecky
Master EcoModder

ND Miata - '15 Mazda MX-5 Special Package
90 day: 39.99 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,518 Times in 1,558 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by EcoCivic View Post
It's an LX but I swapped a K24A2 from an Acura TSX into it. It did in fact come with a D17.

The USDM/JDM K24's don't have an oil cooler although the European/Australian market K24A3 did. Only the K20 in the Acura RSX-S and 06-11 Civic SI comes with an oil cooler here. I could add one but I would need to change the water pump and housing and get the oil cooler as well as the coolant hoses and fittings, so easily $300+ in parts. Where in the world did you manage to get the whole setup for $120?

Also, do you have any data on how well the OEM oil cooler actually works like oil temps before and after installing it? I do not have an oil temp gauge for it yet so I'm not sure how much I would benefit from a cooler but oil pressure/temp gauges are definitely on my list of things to get for it. I'm spoiled because my 05 Civic has had gauges for years now.
Nice, my Insight's is a K24A(2) as well.

I found my setup on eBay, waiting until there was one for a reasonable price. Mine had both hoses, the longer oil filter stud, and one of the elbows, but was missing one, so I got the missing elbow from Honda. The housing I paid $35ish for from some other source, and I used a higher quality RockAuto water pump. I probably spent more like $150-160 in total tbh but I think $120 is likely possible. The worse part of the entire install was getting the oil filter stud off because there's noting to grab onto it with.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/22477178805...EAAOSweyxh0iE3

I don't have any hard data on how well it works. My water temperature seems better buffered after installing it so it seems to be doing something. More than anything I was looking to warm my oil up more quickly on colder days, and it definitely achieves that. All of Honda's lean burn engines have these installed (even the Insight 3 cylinder) and I suspect they're more meant to get oil up to temperature rather than down, during typical driving.

Depending on what alternator you're using, you might need a stack of washers because the post lengths are different between RSX and TSX.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ecky For This Useful Post:
EcoCivic (01-05-2022)