Thread: Thieves
View Single Post
Old 02-12-2022, 02:30 AM   #11 (permalink)
redpoint5
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD

Van - '21 Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid
Thanked 4,459 Times in 3,425 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSH View Post
I'm still amazed to see a vehicle that old on the road let alone without huge rust holes. My first vehicle was a 1987 GMC Jimmy which was purchased used in 1991 with blown engine. By 1996 it had fist size rust holes in the rocker panels.

Salt - the enemy of vehicles.
The Oregon valley doesn't salt, so rust isn't as much an issue as other locations. My grandfathers 2003 S-10 almost looks new.

I think I've got the perp vehicle narrowed down to '91-'94. Those kids don't stand much chance of going unnoticed if they come around again. I've switched my camera to force color mode at night. I'm experimenting with placement for the other cameras to be mounted nearer to the road to make out license plates.

My daughter has been requesting certain songs while on a truck drive, and I keep explaining that's not how radio works, and that the Disc Jockey gets to pick the songs. I point to the radio tower and say that's where the music signal is coming from.

It finally occurred to me that I could get a cheapo Bluetooth to FM transmitter, so I did. Ordered yesterday on Amazon and used it today on the drive. It has 3 USB ports (2 fast charging), indicates battery voltage, and has a mic to take phone calls. Works at least as well as I expected for $19. Now I can play whatever music I want, and it sounds better than FM.

Got me to thinking the cruddy speakers need an upgrade. I might have some 6.5" laying around at my parents. The drive is at least half a musical experience; might as well maximize that experience for minimal expenditure. That said, head unit replacement is tempting too. I'll start with door speakers and see if that satisfies.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!

Last edited by redpoint5; 02-12-2022 at 02:35 AM..