View Single Post
Old 02-15-2022, 09:27 AM   #816 (permalink)
hayden55
Master EcoModder

Sport Utility Prius - '10 Toyota Prius II
90 day: 52.98 mpg (US)

300k Sequoia 4WD - '01 Toyota Sequoia Limited 4wd
90 day: 20.19 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSH View Post
You didn't move to someplace with more reasonable housing costs. People used to move to opportunity - not so much anymore. Go West young man (or in this case too many people went West to your town so it may be time to go back East)

Going to college doesn't guarantee a good job. Not a dream job - but a well paying job.
Yup going to college does not guarantee getting a dream job. Just a nice office job usually that is easier on you but not double the pay. Instead of moving to the city that I live in now that i couldn't afford to live in at the time I made the hard decision to go to the affordable town. Bought a house while in college working full time, had roommates, graduated in 6 years, and then moved here. It took a long time but was worth it in the end. Financially it made me a lot better off than moving straight to the preferred town. There is still plenty of cities that are affordable everybody just wants to fight over a house in a small number of cities. Personally I think if you can't afford to buy a house in the city you want to move to you shouldn't move there. But yes delayed gratification is a *****, although renting in a city where housing is going up faster every year than money you save up for it sounds worse.

I qualified for that 128k house on $15/hr. Sold my cool car I had saved up for in high school and used that to cover the down payment and closing cost. At the time 5% down and a 30 year loan at 3.125% was about $800/mo.