View Single Post
Old 02-19-2022, 12:01 PM   #372 (permalink)
thingstodo
Master EcoModder

Ford Prefect - '18 Ford F150 XLT XTR

Tess - '22 Tesla Y LR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac Zachary View Post
As someone who has to stop for moose (Alces alces), american elk (Cervus canadensis) and the still very large mule dear (Odocoileus hemionus) that jump out of nowhere anywhere you drive I appreciate being able to steer quickly and brake quickly.

Sadly, the vehicles that are becoming more stable from having a low center of gravity, that is to say your typical EV, have terrible braking distances due to their increased mass. The Tesla Model 3 has a stopping distance that's longer than a Ford F150's.
Our paved roads generally support the moose test maneuvers. Our gravel roads (specifically on my route to a summer cabin) on the other hand, are narrow roads with not much room to swerve, coupled with steep ditches (in places) that end up in water (in places). These are not a great place to swerve off the road to miss a moose. But it may be better than hitting the moose ... that's what I'd like to figure out.

Is there version of the 'moose test' (perhaps called something else) where you hit the moose, take out the legs, and have the 1500 lb animal land on the windshield? I'd like to see whether the front seat passenger's survive, if the leading edge of the roof will crumple to reduce deceleration, or if it peels back like a tin can, or maybe maintains structural integrity and keeps the moose out of the cabin.