Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Fossil Fuel Free
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-17-2022, 03:50 PM   #371 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac Zachary View Post
As someone who has to stop for moose (Alces alces), american elk (Cervus canadensis) and the still very large mule dear (Odocoileus hemionus) that jump out of nowhere anywhere you drive I appreciate being able to steer quickly and brake quickly.

Sadly, the vehicles that are becoming more stable from having a low center of gravity, that is to say your typical EV, have terrible braking distances due to their increased mass. The Tesla Model 3 has a stopping distance that's longer than a Ford F150's.
Aptera is evidently half the mass of a Model 3 so will be interesting to see what the braking distance is on that one.

The Following User Says Thank You to hyperEV For This Useful Post:
Isaac Zachary (02-17-2022)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 02-19-2022, 12:01 PM   #372 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Ford Prefect - '18 Ford F150 XLT XTR

Tess - '22 Tesla Y LR
Quote:
As someone who has to stop for moose (Alces alces), american elk (Cervus canadensis) and the still very large mule dear (Odocoileus hemionus) that jump out of nowhere anywhere you drive I appreciate being able to steer quickly and brake quickly.

Sadly, the vehicles that are becoming more stable from having a low center of gravity, that is to say your typical EV, have terrible braking distances due to their increased mass. The Tesla Model 3 has a stopping distance that's longer than a Ford F150's.
Our paved roads generally support the moose test maneuvers. Our gravel roads (specifically on my route to a summer cabin) on the other hand, are narrow roads with not much room to swerve, coupled with steep ditches (in places) that end up in water (in places). These are not a great place to swerve off the road to miss a moose. But it may be better than hitting the moose ... that's what I'd like to figure out.

Is there version of the 'moose test' (perhaps called something else) where you hit the moose, take out the legs, and have the 1500 lb animal land on the windshield? I'd like to see whether the front seat passenger's survive, if the leading edge of the roof will crumple to reduce deceleration, or if it peels back like a tin can, or maybe maintains structural integrity and keeps the moose out of the cabin.
Old 02-19-2022, 07:17 PM   #373 (permalink)
Somewhat crazed

Thanked 1,111 Times in 980 Posts
If it's any consolation, I saw what happened when a brand new diesel excursion attempted that manuever on a steer. Everything front of the front door hinge was kinda missing, however, the occupants lived through it although not unscathed.

Did you ever replace the igbts in your controller?

Last edited by Piotrsko; 02-19-2022 at 07:25 PM..
Old 02-19-2022, 07:40 PM   #374 (permalink)
High Altitude Hybrid

Avalon - '13 Toyota Avalon HV
90 day: 40.45 mpg (US)

Prius - '06 Toyota Prius
Quote:
Originally Posted by thingstodo View Post
Our paved roads generally support the moose test maneuvers. Our gravel roads (specifically on my route to a summer cabin) on the other hand, are narrow roads with not much room to swerve, coupled with steep ditches (in places) that end up in water (in places). These are not a great place to swerve off the road to miss a moose. But it may be better than hitting the moose ... that's what I'd like to figure out.

Is there version of the 'moose test' (perhaps called something else) where you hit the moose, take out the legs, and have the 1500 lb animal land on the windshield? I'd like to see whether the front seat passenger's survive, if the leading edge of the roof will crumple to reduce deceleration, or if it peels back like a tin can, or maybe maintains structural integrity and keeps the moose out of the cabin.
When I was a kid my uncle had a Subaru we all called the Moose Killer that would only shift into 2nd and 4th. He hit a moose, but in a station wagon like his the moose rolled over the top. The danger of having a moose come in through the windshield is likely more of a problem in a CUV. You can hit dear that will wreck the windshield in a smaller car but the deer are smaller. I hit a mule dear in my first car, a 1984 Toyota Corolla, at about 60mph. Even though it was a large buck, it didn't come through the windshield even though I hit it hard enough for it's guts to come out.

I think that where a road doesn't allow you to steer out of the way should be driven slower. I've driven a lot, sometimes over 50,000 miles per year, and mostly on narrow mountain roads full of deer, elk and even moose at times. I've only hit one other deer after that and hit it much slower with only the headlight. There have been countless times that a deer jumped our right in front of the car or I've came around the corner and there were a herd of deer in the road.

The key is to drive for the conditions, respect speed limits and to pay attention. I've known of others that beat up their vehicles with hitting deer because they insist on driving fast. Even going 60mph instead of 50mph (assuming that 50mph is the speed limit) will double your stopping distance in any vehicle. People that say they're only going to go 5 or 10 mph above the speed limit don't realize the amount of stopping distance they're adding.
Old 02-19-2022, 09:25 PM   #375 (permalink)
Corporate imperialist

Sub - '84 Chevy Diesel Suburban C10
SUV
90 day: 19.5 mpg (US)

camaro - '85 Chevy Camaro Z28

Riot - '03 Kia Rio POS
Team Hyundai
90 day: 30.21 mpg (US)

Bug - '01 VW Beetle GLSturbo
90 day: 26.43 mpg (US)

Sub2500 - '86 GMC Suburban C2500
90 day: 11.95 mpg (US)

Snow flake - '11 Nissan Leaf SL
SUV
90 day: 141.63 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,525 Times in 2,799 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperEV View Post
Aptera is evidently half the mass of a Model 3 so will be interesting to see what the braking distance is on that one.
Half the weight and 3/4 the wheels.
I'm sure tesla will beat it like a rented mule on a road track.
Old 02-19-2022, 10:09 PM   #376 (permalink)
High Altitude Hybrid

Prius - '06 Toyota Prius
Quote:
Originally Posted by oil pan 4 View Post
Half the weight and 3/4 the wheels.
I'm sure tesla will beat it like a rented mule on a road track.
??

Teslas already take longer than a Ford F-150 to stop. Are you saying that the Aptera will be even worse? Halt the weight should help. But it does have less wheel contact to the ground with three wheels.
Old 02-19-2022, 11:14 PM   #377 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,575 Times in 7,061 Posts
Aerodynamically efficient problems require aerodynamically efficient solutions.

fighters.forumactif.com/t68182p60-sbd-5-trompette-1-32

Old 04-08-2022, 02:41 PM   #378 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

2020 Kia Niro EV - '20 Kia Niro EV
90 day: 151.63 mpg (US)
Lots of good information

Here's a pretty technical-heavy interview!

https://youtu.be/7CQm9kHwuiw
The Following User Says Thank You to Rcnesneg For This Useful Post:
MetroMPG (04-17-2022)
Old 04-08-2022, 08:23 PM   #379 (permalink)
Thalmaturge

The Tinyvan - '07 Honda Fit Sport

Spicy Italian - '13 Fiat 500 Abarth

eBike - '94 Trek Mountain Track 820
Quote:
??

Teslas already take longer than a Ford F-150 to stop. Are you saying that the Aptera will be even worse? Halt the weight should help. But it does have less wheel contact to the ground with three wheels.
You keep repeating that, but it was an ABS bug that was fixed years ago.

https://www.consumerreports.org/car-...raking-update/
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to samwichse For This Useful Post:
Isaac Zachary (04-08-2022), RedDevil (04-09-2022)
Old 04-08-2022, 10:42 PM   #380 (permalink)
High Altitude Hybrid

Prius - '06 Toyota Prius
Quote:
Originally Posted by samwichse View Post
You keep repeating that, but it was an ABS bug that was fixed years ago.

https://www.consumerreports.org/car-...raking-update/
Thanks! I need to research more. The internet doesn't allways make it easy.

It went from 152 to 133ft at 60 to 0mph braking with an over-the-air update, a 19ft change!

133ft is the average for a midsized run-of-the-mill car. A sports car will average 120ft, or 13 ft less. A small car will do an average of 130ft.

https://www.consumerreports.org/car-...s-a2960086475/

Of course, that is if Consumer Reports is to be trusted...

Reply  Post New Thread