View Single Post
Old 02-19-2022, 07:40 PM   #374 (permalink)
Isaac Zachary
High Altitude Hybrid

Avalon - '13 Toyota Avalon HV
90 day: 40.45 mpg (US)

Prius - '06 Toyota Prius
Quote:
Originally Posted by thingstodo View Post
Our paved roads generally support the moose test maneuvers. Our gravel roads (specifically on my route to a summer cabin) on the other hand, are narrow roads with not much room to swerve, coupled with steep ditches (in places) that end up in water (in places). These are not a great place to swerve off the road to miss a moose. But it may be better than hitting the moose ... that's what I'd like to figure out.

Is there version of the 'moose test' (perhaps called something else) where you hit the moose, take out the legs, and have the 1500 lb animal land on the windshield? I'd like to see whether the front seat passenger's survive, if the leading edge of the roof will crumple to reduce deceleration, or if it peels back like a tin can, or maybe maintains structural integrity and keeps the moose out of the cabin.
When I was a kid my uncle had a Subaru we all called the Moose Killer that would only shift into 2nd and 4th. He hit a moose, but in a station wagon like his the moose rolled over the top. The danger of having a moose come in through the windshield is likely more of a problem in a CUV. You can hit dear that will wreck the windshield in a smaller car but the deer are smaller. I hit a mule dear in my first car, a 1984 Toyota Corolla, at about 60mph. Even though it was a large buck, it didn't come through the windshield even though I hit it hard enough for it's guts to come out.

I think that where a road doesn't allow you to steer out of the way should be driven slower. I've driven a lot, sometimes over 50,000 miles per year, and mostly on narrow mountain roads full of deer, elk and even moose at times. I've only hit one other deer after that and hit it much slower with only the headlight. There have been countless times that a deer jumped our right in front of the car or I've came around the corner and there were a herd of deer in the road.

The key is to drive for the conditions, respect speed limits and to pay attention. I've known of others that beat up their vehicles with hitting deer because they insist on driving fast. Even going 60mph instead of 50mph (assuming that 50mph is the speed limit) will double your stopping distance in any vehicle. People that say they're only going to go 5 or 10 mph above the speed limit don't realize the amount of stopping distance they're adding.