View Single Post
Old 03-13-2022, 10:11 AM   #9 (permalink)
Ecky
Master EcoModder

ND Miata - '15 Mazda MX-5 Special Package
90 day: 37.29 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,570 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by basjoos View Post
What mpg did you get on the trip from Michigan to Kentucky, although the cold, wet, rainy night conditions seen in your photos aren’t optimum for mileage. Use of the headlights alone drops your mileage by 1.5 mpg. Use of Rainex greatly reduces your need to run the windshield wipers with their slight increase in drag and electrical load. If Ecky hasn’t addressed it yet, reinstalling a smooth underpanel is good for 7 mpg. Before doing that, you might consider replacing that section of rubber tubing on the gas line under the gas tank that was installed by the Honda dealership with a more durable brass fitting. Good luck with the car, and with current gas prices, Aerocivic will save you a bundle of money.
I drove it down. Driving at 70 with a ~35-30mph headwind (sometimes crosswind), it averaged mid 50's mpg. The wind was blowing other cars all over the road. The new hood isn't as well sealed as the old one and that appeared to make a big difference. The new tires were only at ~44psi, and are not broken in yet. The underbody panel was not in place - but there's a small exhaust leak and I probably would not want to seal that in until it's fixed.

Aerocivic is mechanically as ready as it can be, but based on what I've seen of 19bonestock88's other mods, I suspect he's going to be far more bold than I would have been with improvements and experiments. I think the car is in exactly the right hands.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ecky For This Useful Post:
Gasoline Fumes (03-13-2022), me and my metro (03-13-2022)