View Single Post
Old 03-15-2022, 07:52 AM   #34 (permalink)
Isaac Zachary
High Altitude Hybrid

Avalon - '13 Toyota Avalon HV
90 day: 40.45 mpg (US)

Prius - '06 Toyota Prius
Quote:
Originally Posted by cRiPpLe_rOoStEr View Post
As more conservative car bodystyles go on short supply, it's becoming harder to avoid trucks and SUVs. Well, considering a sedan or some truck with the same footprint, I'd be tempted to get the truck.

As it was developed according to Kei car guidelines, even though it may be seen as a much more specialized vehicle, the Suzuki Samurai may eventually be a better overall commuter than a regular-sized hatchback for some people even in city traffic.

Why should it be used strictly as a recreational vehicle? It's not much wider compared to a Beetle, and it's slightly shorter, so even finding a parking spot downtown wouldn't be a major PITA at all. Had it been officially available in my country, I guess many people would be better served by one than by a Beetle, and I still see a considerable amount of Beetles in Porto Alegre.
I can kind of see the use case of a small SUV or CUV for city driving in the sense that parking is an issue and a tall and short vehicle can give you the capacity without taking up more parking space. But in my town I can litterally walk to any part of town in a reasonable amount of time, or get there plenty fast on a bicycle. When I drive out of town it's at least 100km/60mi to anywhere, so driving a tall wind brick simply hurts aerodynamic drag and fuel mileage. I'd much rather have a station wagon, something low to the ground and aerodynamically shaped.