Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Off-Topic > The Lounge
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-12-2022, 11:51 PM   #31 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,657 Times in 1,477 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdb View Post
They annoy me less.
Sometimes a traditional body-on-frame SUV may actually be a quite efficient platform. Do you remember the early Suzuki Vitara, for instance? Even though it's definitely not the greatest example when it comes to aerodynamics, its size is actually more convenient for city traffic than most of the new econoboxes in my country. Well, even a J40 Land Cruiser may have a smaller footprint than some new econoboxes, considering the SWB model which is quite short and narrow.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 03-13-2022, 03:21 PM   #32 (permalink)
High Altitude Hybrid

Avalon - '13 Toyota Avalon HV
90 day: 40.45 mpg (US)

Prius - '06 Toyota Prius
I love SUV's and pickups when I need one. The problem is I don't often do.

I think the Suzuki Samarai is an awesome vehicle! That and the VW Thing/Safari/Trekker/181/182! But I don't have a need for one. If I had the money, I might get one as a second car. But I'm too frugal to have a second vehicle for recreation purposes.
Old 03-15-2022, 01:55 AM   #33 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,657 Times in 1,477 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac Zachary View Post
I love SUV's and pickups when I need one. The problem is I don't often do.
As more conservative car bodystyles go on short supply, it's becoming harder to avoid trucks and SUVs. Well, considering a sedan or some truck with the same footprint, I'd be tempted to get the truck.

Quote:
I think the Suzuki Samarai is an awesome vehicle!
As it was developed according to Kei car guidelines, even though it may be seen as a much more specialized vehicle, the Suzuki Samurai may eventually be a better overall commuter than a regular-sized hatchback for some people even in city traffic.

Quote:
That and the VW Thing/Safari/Trekker/181/182! But I don't have a need for one.
Why should it be used strictly as a recreational vehicle? It's not much wider compared to a Beetle, and it's slightly shorter, so even finding a parking spot downtown wouldn't be a major PITA at all. Had it been officially available in my country, I guess many people would be better served by one than by a Beetle, and I still see a considerable amount of Beetles in Porto Alegre.
Old 03-15-2022, 07:52 AM   #34 (permalink)
High Altitude Hybrid

Prius - '06 Toyota Prius
Quote:
Originally Posted by cRiPpLe_rOoStEr View Post
As more conservative car bodystyles go on short supply, it's becoming harder to avoid trucks and SUVs. Well, considering a sedan or some truck with the same footprint, I'd be tempted to get the truck.

As it was developed according to Kei car guidelines, even though it may be seen as a much more specialized vehicle, the Suzuki Samurai may eventually be a better overall commuter than a regular-sized hatchback for some people even in city traffic.

Why should it be used strictly as a recreational vehicle? It's not much wider compared to a Beetle, and it's slightly shorter, so even finding a parking spot downtown wouldn't be a major PITA at all. Had it been officially available in my country, I guess many people would be better served by one than by a Beetle, and I still see a considerable amount of Beetles in Porto Alegre.
I can kind of see the use case of a small SUV or CUV for city driving in the sense that parking is an issue and a tall and short vehicle can give you the capacity without taking up more parking space. But in my town I can litterally walk to any part of town in a reasonable amount of time, or get there plenty fast on a bicycle. When I drive out of town it's at least 100km/60mi to anywhere, so driving a tall wind brick simply hurts aerodynamic drag and fuel mileage. I'd much rather have a station wagon, something low to the ground and aerodynamically shaped.
Old 03-15-2022, 12:07 PM   #35 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,818 Times in 7,275 Posts
My brother had owned and operated a Samurai since 1984. His daughter's Geo Tracker came and went. They go everywhere in the wife's Ford Escape.

'Well, considering a sedan or some truck with the same footprint, I'd be tempted to get....' a Type II Kombi.

Old 03-15-2022, 12:21 PM   #36 (permalink)
Somewhat crazed

Thanked 1,162 Times in 1,026 Posts
Where would one actually get a kombi today for a reasonable price? Except perhaps Canadian, but even then they were as rare as hens teeth.
Old 03-15-2022, 01:36 PM   #37 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Were I getting into it today, I'd want to start here:

https://classicsteelbody.com/
Quote:
COMPLETE STEEL 1960 BUS BODY SKELETON
Classic Steel Body assembles their all steel bodies in the US. They are each hand assembled on state-of-the-art rotisserie with... Learn more
REGULAR PRICE$30,000.00

Big money up front, but the savings in restoration work would be time and money.

Old 03-15-2022, 02:30 PM   #38 (permalink)
Somewhat crazed

Thanked 1,162 Times in 1,026 Posts
Perhaps but with them going for $30-40k for decent running no rust original, would it be THAT expensive?
Old 03-15-2022, 03:03 PM   #39 (permalink)
High Altitude Hybrid

Prius - '06 Toyota Prius
I like the Kombi, but for the style I would probably prefer a Toyota Previa. If possible I'd import a Previa diesel engine and put it in a stick shift Previa.
Old 03-15-2022, 03:28 PM   #40 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

I hear the Canadian Previa came with a tachometer in the dashboard.

The body in white was available for pre-order a few years ago at $17K. https://buy.motorious.com/articles/n...w-vw-bus-body/ Coincidentally, the last 'just restored' example I saw was $17K. I let go of the panel van as a roller at $5K, but it would have need $10K to be ready for a powertrain.

Show season is coming up, the Woodburn drag strip Bug-run sounds iffy but Springfield Greman's Father's day show and swap is definitely on. I can report back. Last time, a few years ago there were $75K buses shown.

Someday soon, the Xbus
Quote:
https://electricbrands.de › en › myxbus
The XBUS is the most innovative and modular light vehicle in the world. It generates a daily range of up to 200 km via its integrated solar modules and recuperating drives.

Reply  Post New Thread