View Single Post
Old 03-24-2022, 12:27 PM   #14 (permalink)
JSH
AKA - Jason

Adventure Seeker - '04 Chevy Astro - Campervan
90 day: 17.3 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,068 Times in 1,398 Posts
A. I would check what Carvana, Vroom, and CarMax will pay for the car. All will give you a real quote with about 2 minutes of work. That will give you a good idea of value and you can decided if you want to sell to them or try a private party sale.

B. I would sell the Prius and keep the Avalon. You live in a remote area and need a car to get to work. If you go down to one car don't keep the one with a bunch of potential problems.

C. Car prices aren't dropping this year - maybe not even next year unless we have a recession. We are still struggling to build vehicles. It isn't just chips that are in short supply - it is just about everything. You can expect new car production to be millions short of new car demand this year.

D. Chips are actually easier to build around than some other components. Build a vehicle, drive it to offline, strip the chips out, reuse them for another vehicle - repeat. We can use the same set of chips over and over to keep the assembly lines running. Then when a new shipment of chips arrive crews go out to offline, install the chips, program them, and ship the vehicle.

Some of our competitor have started shipping vehicle missing chips and leaving it to the dealer to install in customer's cars when they come available.

I'll be selling my Astro Campervan this summer. It is pretty crazy what people are asking for Astro vans. Base model cargo models with more than 200K for $6,000! I paid $4300 for my fully load passenger model with 75K miles back in 2015.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JSH For This Useful Post:
MetroMPG (04-29-2022), redpoint5 (03-24-2022), wdb (03-26-2022)