View Single Post
Old 10-10-2008, 07:39 PM   #22 (permalink)
cfg83
Pokémoderator

1999 Saturn SW2 - '99 Saturn SW2 Wagon
Team Saturn
90 day: 40.49 mpg (US)
NiHaoMike -

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiHaoMike View Post
SSDs are way cheaper than they used to be. Just now, a 16GB USB SSD is $35 new from Fry's. 1GB of any common form factor is well under $10.

I'm actually using a 128MB SSD (CompactFlash form factor) in a pfSense machine (Cisco-like router without the Cisco price) I'm building. SSDs use very little power, which actually turned out to be a problem as it dropped the current to the point where the power supply (200w) would not operate correctly. I'm working with a friend of mine to design a new power supply.

I think all the software should be open source if possible. As for hardware, I'd suggest something like an old (Pentium 2/3 or M) laptop with a PSOne LCD running from the TV out. It should be easy to find a used one for cheap, especially one with something like a bad screen that decreases its value but is still usable for our purpose. And it can make a good MP3 player as well. If you want, you can even add in some extras like GPS. Just don't use a Pentium 4 as they use lots of power and will hurt your gas mileage.
I am basing my statement on an April 2008 price of $60 for 2 GB Solid State IDE drive. Google google google ... Here is the latest price :

Amazon.com: Transcend - Solid state drive - 4 GB - internal - 2.5" - IDE: Electronics - $50.95
Click image for larger version

Name:	transcend_ssd_ide_4gb.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	9.9 KB
ID:	1906

It's getting closer to my price point. I might bite soon - Moore's Law Strikes Again!!!!!!

When you say $35 for 16 GB, I think you mean for non-IDE SSD. 16GB is more than enough "elbow room" for an XP install, but I wonder if it will work for me. I tried a Compact Flash + hard drive adapter (this gizmo) but I couldn't get it to be recognized as a hard disk. This was with notebook PCs with very old BIOS (some maybe circa 1996+).

Hrmmm, here's a good price on a 16GB PATA SSD :

Transcend 16GB 1.0" PATA IDE Solid State Disk SSD TS16GSSD10-M Detail Page

But all my old notebooks are pre-PATA, . Why is the PATA SSD so cheap?

I even have an old LG Phenom that works perfectly. I've never programmed for Windows CE, let alone the SH3 CPU. If I had the time, I would port the Scantool source code to run on the Phenom, for "fun". Fortunately, the good-as-new-LCD looks too krappy for me to really want to make the attempt.

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? Go Here and find out!
American Solar Energy Society