Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Instrumentation
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-10-2008, 07:39 PM   #21 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

sukisuki - '00 Suzuki Grand Vitara 4wd
90 day: 21.88 mpg (US)
Hmmm, I think that I should have bought that ODB-BlueTooth... So that I can try to map the java source on my cellphone. That would be so cool and so inexpensive compared to a SG.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 10-10-2008, 07:39 PM   #22 (permalink)
Pokémoderator

1999 Saturn SW2 - '99 Saturn SW2 Wagon
Team Saturn
90 day: 40.49 mpg (US)
NiHaoMike -

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiHaoMike View Post
SSDs are way cheaper than they used to be. Just now, a 16GB USB SSD is $35 new from Fry's. 1GB of any common form factor is well under $10.

I'm actually using a 128MB SSD (CompactFlash form factor) in a pfSense machine (Cisco-like router without the Cisco price) I'm building. SSDs use very little power, which actually turned out to be a problem as it dropped the current to the point where the power supply (200w) would not operate correctly. I'm working with a friend of mine to design a new power supply.

I think all the software should be open source if possible. As for hardware, I'd suggest something like an old (Pentium 2/3 or M) laptop with a PSOne LCD running from the TV out. It should be easy to find a used one for cheap, especially one with something like a bad screen that decreases its value but is still usable for our purpose. And it can make a good MP3 player as well. If you want, you can even add in some extras like GPS. Just don't use a Pentium 4 as they use lots of power and will hurt your gas mileage.
I am basing my statement on an April 2008 price of $60 for 2 GB Solid State IDE drive. Google google google ... Here is the latest price :

Amazon.com: Transcend - Solid state drive - 4 GB - internal - 2.5" - IDE: Electronics - $50.95
Click image for larger version

Name:	transcend_ssd_ide_4gb.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	9.9 KB
ID:	1906

It's getting closer to my price point. I might bite soon - Moore's Law Strikes Again!!!!!!

When you say $35 for 16 GB, I think you mean for non-IDE SSD. 16GB is more than enough "elbow room" for an XP install, but I wonder if it will work for me. I tried a Compact Flash + hard drive adapter (this gizmo) but I couldn't get it to be recognized as a hard disk. This was with notebook PCs with very old BIOS (some maybe circa 1996+).

Hrmmm, here's a good price on a 16GB PATA SSD :

Transcend 16GB 1.0" PATA IDE Solid State Disk SSD TS16GSSD10-M Detail Page

But all my old notebooks are pre-PATA, . Why is the PATA SSD so cheap?

I even have an old LG Phenom that works perfectly. I've never programmed for Windows CE, let alone the SH3 CPU. If I had the time, I would port the Scantool source code to run on the Phenom, for "fun". Fortunately, the good-as-new-LCD looks too krappy for me to really want to make the attempt.

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? Go Here and find out!
American Solar Energy Society
Old 10-10-2008, 09:05 PM   #23 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

By specification, CompactFlash form factor SSDs require an ATA compatibility mode. The actual connector is not IDE, but the signals are ATA if the SSD is set to ATA mode by tying the correct lines to ground.
I actually added a CF socket to the PC motherboard for the pfSense box. I just glued it onto the board next to the IDE connector and soldered wires between the socket and connector. (Yes, it worked the first time.) Depending on the BIOS, you might need to manually set the parameters. In my case, the BIOS incorrectly detected the SSD as a Zip drive. However, when I manually set it to "User", it automatically filled in the correct parameters.

Some motherboards can boot from USB. In that case, use a USB Linux distribution and modify it. Note that such distributions use little space to the extent that even 1GB can be overkill.

Or just get an Asus EEE. Yes, it costs a bit, but you get a nice PDA as well.

Allie Moore and I have a combined carbon footprint much smaller than that of one average American...
Old 10-10-2008, 09:17 PM   #24 (permalink)
Pokémoderator

1999 Saturn SW2 - '99 Saturn SW2 Wagon
Team Saturn
90 day: 40.49 mpg (US)
NiHaoMike -

Thanks for the info! I only have surface knowledge, but you have the nitty-gritty. I think I will try to set the BIOS to "User" mode as you say.

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? Go Here and find out!
American Solar Energy Society
Reply  Post New Thread