View Single Post
Old 03-31-2022, 06:44 PM   #19 (permalink)
Vman455

Pope Pious the Prius - '13 Toyota Prius Two
Team Toyota
SUV
90 day: 51.62 mpg (US)

Tycho the Truck - '91 Toyota Pickup DLX 4WD
90 day: 22.22 mpg (US)
Thanked 1,802 Times in 939 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phase View Post
I wish there were some after market hood looking aero side mirrors. I definitely want to build a rear wheel spat, but I wish I knew how much of a difference it would actually make. Also I wonder if making an after market spoiler in the back that angles farther down and extended out a little more, then lips up at the tip would help reduce the wake a lot more, without making a full boat tail. I’ve noticed that the back of Ioniq is pretty big when it comes to wake size versus a Prius prime and Tesla model 3 and obviously every other modern sedan
Build some mockups, get some yarn and tape, a manometer and tubing and pitot tube, and start testing. People speculating here or waxing on about hypotheticals will tell you nothing about whether wheel covers will reduce drag on your car, or differently shaped mirrors, or a spoiler extension at a certain angle, or whatever you want to know about, and how much. The only way to know is to build these things--cheap, out of cardboard or coroplast or plywood--and start measuring their effects. Only then will you know what they do and be able to plan what you want to make permanent and what isn't worth pursuing.