View Single Post
Old 04-12-2022, 04:28 PM   #1432 (permalink)
hayden55
Master EcoModder

Sport Utility Prius - '10 Toyota Prius II
90 day: 52.98 mpg (US)

300k Sequoia 4WD - '01 Toyota Sequoia Limited 4wd
90 day: 20.19 mpg (US)
Yup. I am continuing to test my EGR delete theory. Even with the larger tires, before and after the EGR delete I'm still getting 50+ mpg which is better than most people who still have EGR and smaller tires. I probably will leave the EGR deleted. Too dangerous with it perpetually clogging at varying rates. lol
The gasketmaster's video where they unplug the EGR electrical connector and the car starts running smoothly to diagnose a clogged egr is where the idea came from. So the EGR electrical failure map that is programmed to run without EGR is fitting my needs well for around 15k miles now. If it needed EGR it seems like I would be experiencing harsher consequences after 15k miles without it now.
And you are correct, use the battery more for keeping the engine off when stopped or in neutral. Don't drive in electric mode it is bad for gas mileage and the battery. I may on occasion scoot up to a stoplight in electric or scoot out of a parking lot in electric but that's it.
Get a scanguage and program it for SOC. Stock map really tries to keep the car below 80% and above 25% and does a good job at it too. I typically stay around 58-70% most of the time. Above around 75% I just throw the car in neutral and use the mechanical brakes to stop since if it gets too high it will kick the engine on to keep the battery from overcharging and bleed off the extra energy anyways.
Judging by my paragraph you can tell these really are an enthusiast cars (finicky too).
Expect 10 years out of a battery and if you cycle them correctly you'll get extra. Cycles go up infinitely the closer you keep the battery to 50% but nimh has a memory effect that makes that hard especially on mine.

EGR delete isn't for everyone especially you guys with emissions test, but you should start changing your own oil. I did mine in the parking lot of my dorm for a long time no problem. Measure oil in and oil out. All cars burn oil especially 2010-2011 priuses