View Single Post
Old 04-25-2022, 12:39 PM   #17 (permalink)
aerohead
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,328 Times in 4,735 Posts
this discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyLugNut View Post
Ice cap albedo is not the only form of albedo and is minimal in comparison to the other albedo changing activities we as humans perform.

I read an article years ago on a piece of newsprint that discussed the increased average temperatures across the Los Angeles basin simply because of the dark albedo created by pavement and roofs. It then stated that eastern counties such as the Inland Empire and Palm Springs were effected to some degree by this mass of hot air moving across on prevailing winds. On the other hand, the El Centro Valley, which was a desert before man used the Colorado to irrigate it, sees a temperature drop because of the increased vegetation (farmland).

My point is this. If after curtailing or stopping the output of CO2, the climate warms anyways because of other activities such as albedo changing consturcts, deforestation and farming being only some of them? How about the effect of the oceanic environment? We know so little about the ocean and it covers so much of our planet.

If you force me to destroy my economies by using only wind and solar power and I find that all that effort did nothing to stop disaster, . . . I'm coming to your house and punching you in the nose!
1) Albedo-flip accompanied past mass extinctions.
2) Albedo-flip WILL be the trigger for the Anthropocene mass extinction.
3) Anthropogenically-forced albedo-flip IS, factually the DOMINANT albedo parameter in 'abrupt' climate change.
4) After ending carbon emissions, the planet will continue to warm from the GHGs which remain for 1,000-years, unless captured and sequestered forever.
5) The 37- climate models ( as of 2017 )already take the oceans into effect. Always did.
6) Switching to wind and solar can only enrichen the global economy, as, presently, they're the most economical form of energy production.
7) Renewables ARE one of the few things KNOWN to have a direct impact on global warming.
8) I don't know where you live.
9) I live in the United States of America.
10) The USA is a 'capitalist' nation.
11) Capitalists only ask for twelve years to move their portfolio out of eclipsed technologies, and into 'emerging' technologies.
12) Even the IPCC comprehends this.
13) And they're giving us until 2035 or so to make the changes.
14) We've had since 1958 to make plans and act.
15) There is no downside.