View Single Post
Old 05-02-2022, 03:16 PM   #24 (permalink)
Tmugz88
EcoModding Lurker

Spark - '14 Chevrolet Spark Ls
90 day: 38.44 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSH View Post
You could do a grill block on the inside or the outside of the grill. On my Prius and Jetta Wagon I used black duct tape on the black plastic grill to block off sections of grill and reduce airflow. It is an easy way to test to see how much can be blocked without causing overheating problems. Some people use black foam pipe insulation zip tied to the grill for the same effect. In older days when radiators were easier to get to people would just use a piece of cardboard placed between the grill and radiator to block airflow in the winter so engines would heat up faster. There are lots of ways to do it.

Or you could do the reverse - buy a Spark EV grill that is completely blocked and start adding holes to it.

EV grill

ICE grill
I don't believe that a grill like that will work, I'll have to maybe see if an EV was offered during my model years.

I need to look a bit more into the benefits of doing this for MPG. I've done the blockage for my radiator in my work trucks previously when I worked for FedEx Ground. Definitely helps increase the heat in the trucks too.