Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Introductions
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-02-2022, 07:10 AM   #21 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Spark - '14 Chevrolet Spark Ls
90 day: 38.44 mpg (US)
I'm sorry my phone wouldn't let me quote you properly so this was the end result @ JSH.

The Following User Says Thank You to Tmugz88 For This Useful Post:
JSH (05-02-2022)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 05-02-2022, 07:12 AM   #22 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by cRiPpLe_rOoStEr View Post
It may depend on route conditions and other factors, but maybe you could benefit from a cruise control. A few truckers and bus drivers I talked to said the adaptative cruise control was an useful feature for them, yet commercial drivers tend to have better training on how to use specific features.
A lot of my driving is highway , I think of it as more of a luxury than a necessity. But at $450 installed or $300 if I do it thay seems like a lot. Thank you for sharing your opinion and additional insight.
Old 05-02-2022, 02:20 PM   #23 (permalink)
JSH
AKA - Jason

Adventure Seeker - '04 Chevy Astro - Campervan
90 day: 17.3 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,066 Times in 1,396 Posts
You could do a grill block on the inside or the outside of the grill. On my Prius and Jetta Wagon I used black duct tape on the black plastic grill to block off sections of grill and reduce airflow. It is an easy way to test to see how much can be blocked without causing overheating problems. Some people use black foam pipe insulation zip tied to the grill for the same effect. In older days when radiators were easier to get to people would just use a piece of cardboard placed between the grill and radiator to block airflow in the winter so engines would heat up faster. There are lots of ways to do it.

Or you could do the reverse - buy a Spark EV grill that is completely blocked and start adding holes to it.

EV grill

ICE grill
Old 05-02-2022, 03:16 PM   #24 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSH View Post
You could do a grill block on the inside or the outside of the grill. On my Prius and Jetta Wagon I used black duct tape on the black plastic grill to block off sections of grill and reduce airflow. It is an easy way to test to see how much can be blocked without causing overheating problems. Some people use black foam pipe insulation zip tied to the grill for the same effect. In older days when radiators were easier to get to people would just use a piece of cardboard placed between the grill and radiator to block airflow in the winter so engines would heat up faster. There are lots of ways to do it.

Or you could do the reverse - buy a Spark EV grill that is completely blocked and start adding holes to it.

EV grill

ICE grill
I don't believe that a grill like that will work, I'll have to maybe see if an EV was offered during my model years.

I need to look a bit more into the benefits of doing this for MPG. I've done the blockage for my radiator in my work trucks previously when I worked for FedEx Ground. Definitely helps increase the heat in the trucks too.
Old 05-02-2022, 05:02 PM   #25 (permalink)
JSH
AKA - Jason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmugz88 View Post
I don't believe that a grill like that will work, I'll have to maybe see if an EV was offered during my model years.

I need to look a bit more into the benefits of doing this for MPG. I've done the blockage for my radiator in my work trucks previously when I worked for FedEx Ground. Definitely helps increase the heat in the trucks too.
The Spark EV was sold from 2014 - 2016. The center grill is obviously different but the top one looks like it might be the same.
Old 05-02-2022, 06:03 PM   #26 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
The Spark EV was sold from 2014 - 2016. The center grill is obviously different but the top one looks like it might be the same.

Awesome I'l have to do some research. I know I'll need to look into installing an aftermarket temp guage,these cars didn't come with them as you probably know.
Old 05-02-2022, 07:01 PM   #27 (permalink)
JSH
AKA - Jason

Quote:
Awesome I'l have to do some research. I know I'll need to look into installing an aftermarket temp guage,these cars didn't come with them as you probably know.
I would buy an OBDII reader and the Torque Pro app (if you have an android phone) You can pull a huge amount of information from the car computer.
Old 05-02-2022, 08:46 PM   #28 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
I would buy an OBDII reader and the Torque Pro app (if you have an android phone) You can pull a huge amount of information from the car computer.
I totally forgot I have the torq pro app already, so that fixes that issue.

What were you getting consistently with the EV?
Old 05-02-2022, 11:26 PM   #29 (permalink)
JSH
AKA - Jason

Quote:
I totally forgot I have the torq pro app already, so that fixes that issue.

What were you getting consistently with the EV?
The Spark EV was a lease so I didn't do any mods besides upgrading the stock LRR tires to performance all-seasons. It averaged 4.43 miles / KWh (149 MPGe). Total cost (all-in) was $0.28 per mile.
Old 05-03-2022, 01:56 AM   #30 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,625 Times in 1,450 Posts
Even when Torque or other apps could be useful, I'd not disconsider a temp gauge.

Reply  Post New Thread