View Single Post
Old 05-03-2022, 02:36 AM   #58 (permalink)
Xist
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 30.49 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,219 Times in 1,710 Posts
I haven't accomplished anything in days.

I keep telling people that I will do stuff, but apparently that is time-consuming. I bought a doorknob on Saturday.

I had been trying to find a normal door knob without an oversized rose.

Home Depot's website made it look like that is the standard now, but I eventually found one in-person.

When I visited my then-girlfriend in Idaho I asked why one faceplate was larger than the rest.

"I never noticed that."
"You have lived here eight years!"

I found a door lock installation kit and it looked just like what I have somewhere in the garage.

I forgot to find it first.

On Saturday I saw that a small piece of coroplast was hanging from one screw. It was the end of the sheet that extended past the door, but didn't reach the next stud, so I overlapped as much as I could.

Apparently the wind blew it off, ripping the plastic under 2 screws.

Today I said that I was going to buy clear duct tape.

Uh, I did a Google search 5 hours ago.

Lowe's has 20 yards of 3m for $10, rated 4.7 stars.
Lowe's has 9 yards of Gorilla for $8, rated 4.6 stars.
Walmart has 20 yards of Duck for $4, rated 4.9 stars, but it sounds like packaging tape.
It turns out that they also have clear Flex Tape for $13, but it is only 5' long, although is 4" wide for some reason, but it is only rated 4.3 stars.

Insider says that Gorilla is the best clear, but they don't say how they tested, or which brands.

For all that we know, they are skimming reviews.

Bob Vila's intern says that Gaffer Power is the best.

Not a valid option, Bob Vila's intern!

Bob Vila's intern wrote "How We Chose the Best Duct Tapes," but has two paragraphs that don't mean anything.

Not a valid explanation, Bob Vila's intern!

Popular Mechanics also chose Gorilla and just said "We have lots of experience with all of these brands, but we have no way of knowing what brands they haven't tried that didn't make the list.

I hadn't worried about sealing the gaps because it is warm, so I am not planting any of this stuff. When it gets warm I will be moving everything to the patio.

I had planned on reinforcing the side with holes and taping the seams to protect the sheet, but wouldn't leaving the piece somewhere safe protect it until I actually need it?

Well, that was a great use of my time!

By the way, I also read that there is military and industrial duct tape.

In the Army we used 100MPH tape, but I honestly thought it was olive green duct tape. Allegedly this is genuine 100MPH tape, $24 for 60 yards, but only rated 4.1 stars..

Two people claimed it didn't stick.

There is also nuclear tape, but I haven't bothered looking at that, I have vastly too much to do tonight!