View Single Post
Old 05-05-2022, 05:35 PM   #39 (permalink)
Isaac Zachary
High Altitude Hybrid

Avalon - '13 Toyota Avalon HV
90 day: 40.45 mpg (US)

Prius - '06 Toyota Prius
Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
I can't find the cite, but somebody, Hacker News or Slashdot, posted a story that Windows 11 does not offer any advantage over 10.
On a computer from 2006 in 2022, no advantage.

IMO, the advantages are:
  1. In october of 2025 Windows 10 will no longer be supported. So if you want security updates on Windows or your apps need an updated version of Windows in order to run properly then at some point by then you'll need Windows 11.
  2. For gamers Windows 11 allows (or will allow) for direct storage access, or something like that. From what I understand, since storage drives are getting to the point that they're nearly as fast as RAM some apps could be faster if they could access date directy from your storage drive(s) instead of first loading it first into RAM.
  3. Ascetics, if you're into that kind of thing

What bugs me is when I buy my very first brand new product directly from Microsoft and a year and a half later, while I'm still making payments on it, I get this red circle with an X in the updater stating this computer can't be upgraded to the latest version of Windows. It's not that I need the latest version of Windows. But it's like they're trying to tell me that even with a product I haven't even finished paying for that I now need a new one because they want me to have Windows 11, but their own one and a half year-old computer they sold me isn't supported. What a sales pitch! "We just sold you a product, but you need to buy a new one now because we said so."

I've been dabbling in getting Linux to work for me and abandon Microsoft as much as possible, but so far it's not working out. So alas! Some day I'll have to buy another computer, or hack Windows 11 into the ones I have and hope it keeps working.