View Single Post
Old 10-12-2008, 02:12 PM   #20 (permalink)
bennelson
EV test pilot

Electric Cycle - '81 Kawasaki KZ440
90 day: 334.6 mpg (US)

S10 - '95 Chevy S10
90 day: 30.48 mpg (US)

Electro-Metro - '96 Ben Nelson's "Electro-Metro"
90 day: 129.81 mpg (US)

The Wife's Car - Plug-in Prius - '04 Toyota Prius
90 day: 78.16 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperTrooper View Post
The majority of Americans will be reluctant to embrace these vehicles until they come with a Honda, Toyota or GM badge on them.
I gotta agree with you there.

I think EV's are taking off, but it WON'T be a majority of American's until there is a big brand name behind them, but I think that brand-name could become Tesla or one of the other manufacturers.

I am SICK of hearing that battery technology isn't there yet. (And yes, I understand that some of that is coming from the manufacturers, not simply individuals commenting on this or other forums.)

The original EV1 and my car both run off lead-acid batteries. As does a Plug-in converted Prius I saw a few weeks ago. So did cars built 100 years ago, when they outnumbered gasoline vehicles. The batteries we have now are perfectly acceptable for moving around vehicles.

I think the problem is that many people think we need batteries that equate to gasoline - can go hundreds of miles at a time, recharge in 5 minutes, etc.

Technology is not the problem, it's culture. Technology is there, culture just has to catch up with it.

As soon as people realize how EVs can meet their needs, use less energy, can be renewably-powered, and YES, are made to major manufacturers at a reasonable cost, EVs are going to take off.

(PS - I like this forum! There are lots of people that can have varying opinions and still be civil about it! That's how we learn and expand as human beings!!!! )

300mpg.org Learn how to BUILD YOUR OWN ELECTRIC CAR CHEAP
My YouTube Videos