View Single Post
Old 05-13-2022, 01:33 PM   #451 (permalink)
Isaac Zachary
High Altitude Hybrid

Avalon - '13 Toyota Avalon HV
90 day: 40.45 mpg (US)

Prius - '06 Toyota Prius
Quote:
Originally Posted by oil pan 4 View Post
And no one is offering any good or compelling reasons why solar cells should be wasted by putting them on a vehicle.
No one is offering any good or compelling reasons why not to either.

I could see them being beneficial to me for my driving circumstances even with all the limitations discussed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oil pan 4 View Post
Wikipedia says the Aptera gets 2.2 times the range per kwh compared to the leaf. My leaf gets between 3.3 and 4.5 miles per kwh. So best case scenario it just barely gets 10 miles per kwh some times in real world driving.
One of the original concepts was gas only, the one they actually could have made was supposed to get at least 70mpg. If they are going to make them now is the time. Gas is at all time record highs and the tone deaf, inept, brain rotted administration just canceled gulf of Mexico and Alaska oil lease sales for this year. So they are tripling down on stupid in an effort to force people to buy things like the Aptera. If they can't do it now they might as well give up already.
It seems the argument against Aptera is personal expectations weren't met. Double the mileage of other EV's is pretty good. "At least 70 mpg" is also pretty good. 40 miles of solar in a day in at least some sort of conditions is also pretty good. I don't get why those kind of things wouldn't be good enough.

And yes, Aptera may fail again. But that doesn't mean everyone should hate them with a passion or that they positively will fail.