View Single Post
Old 05-14-2022, 06:32 PM   #13 (permalink)
Ecky
Master EcoModder

ND Miata - '15 Mazda MX-5 Special Package
90 day: 40.51 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,514 Times in 1,554 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpgmike View Post
Thank you Ecky for taking the time to have a look. Much appreciated. Someone led you to believe that putting magnets on the fuel line is akin to "Snake Oil". I don't know if this reflects your personal experience, if you have a Masters or even a PhD in some related field, but you expressed your "opinion". I'd like to counter with "opinions" of others with Masters and PhD's that came to different conclusions pertaining to magnets on the fuel line:

GMSARN International Conference on Sustainable Development: Challenges and Opportunities for GMS, 2007: Reduction of NOX Emissions in Bio Diesel Engine with EGR and Magnetic Fuel Conditioning

IOSR Journal of Mechanical and Civil Engineering, 2014: Performance of internal combustion (CI) engine under the influence of stong permanent magnetic field

International Journal of Applied Engineering Research, 2018: Magnetization of Diesel fuel for Compression Ignition Engine to Enhance Efficiency and Emissions

Australian Journal of Basic and Applied Sciences, 2010: Effect of Fuel Magnetism on Engine Performance and Emissions

I could go on as there are a multitude, but this should suffice for now. Next concern that "most of the modifications listed are illegal in most of the world". I am in the United States, and that is my frame of reference. I have lived in PA, UT, VA, IN, and NJ. I have professional associates in AR, OK, CA, NV, OH, NY, FL, and other states. I have traveled to -- and professionally done work in -- Saudi Arabia, Jordan, China (many parts of that country including Hong Kong), South Korea, Italy, Canada, and Puerto Rico. I have held State Inspection License in 3 of the US States. I was IM certified as well. I have worked with OEMs developing technologies for production. I have done OEM-level testing with Roush Industries in Livonia, MI. I am aware that some of the things listed may be illegal in one or 2 of the countries I've visited, but the vast majority are perfectly acceptable. Since you didn't mention anything specific, I have to be generic as well.=
I'm glad you're taking my criticisms with good humor! I don't mean to be harsh or for it to be personal in any way, they're simply my impressions.

Looking at the first link (from the perspective of a scientist) it reads very pseudo-scientifically. Maybe that's only an except from a larger paper, but in one sentence it talks about the fuel being "energized" (which magnetic fields do not do, especially to non-polar substances like most hydrocarbons, which don't show any response to magnetic fields). In another, it states that (one of) the most important factor(s) in the conditioning of the fuel is collimating the magnetic lines of flux - this is gobbledygook and is literally meaningless. While it's formatted like a scientific paper, and scientific terms are being used, it's mostly nonsense.

Looking at the second link, it starts out:

[quote]A magnet is any material that has a magnetic field. The effect magnetic field on the biological and mechanical systems is the subject of study of interest from last fifty years. Many studies suggest that magnetic
field has positive effect on the performance of the system.[/img]

It then goes on to discuss methane as being the largest component of natural gas. Methane is entirely non-polar, and does not interact with magnetic fields.

Then:

Quote:
Hydrogen occurs in two distinct isomeric forms para and ortho.it is characterized by the different opposite nucleus spins. The ortho state of hydrogen has more effective than para state for maximum complete
combustion. The ortho state can be achieved by introducing strong magnetic field along the fuel line.
It's worth reading this about the spin isomers of hydrogen: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spin_isomers_of_hydrogen

Quote:
A mixture or 50:50 mixture of ortho- and parahydrogen can be made in the laboratory by passing it over an iron(III) oxide catalyst at liquid nitrogen temperature (77 K)[4] or by storing hydrogen at 77 K for 2–3 hours in the presence of activated charcoal.[5] In the absence of a catalyst, gas phase parahydrogen takes days to relax to normal hydrogen at room temperature while it takes hours to do so in organic solvents.
The second paper (without going through it completely) is using scientific terms and is formatted like a scientific paper, but is largely nonsense.

Now, the existence of two papers that are nonsense doesn't say anything about the truth of the claim that magnets do... well, something, to non-polar molecules, that makes engines that burn them more efficient. But, consider me unconvinced so far.

This doesn't respond to your entire post! I'll swing back around to the rest later, if you don't mind.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ecky For This Useful Post:
mpgmike (05-14-2022), pgfpro (05-30-2022), some_other_dave (05-24-2022)