View Single Post
Old 10-13-2008, 06:53 AM   #11 (permalink)
Doofus McFancypants
Eco Noob

Red Rover - '01 Nissan Altima GXE
90 day: 30.07 mpg (US)
i had a rental car this past week - was doing some work in Baton Rouge.
Was a Ford Fusion - V6 auto. was a nice car - had a built in average MPG ( did NOT have instantanious though).

There is a section of LA 1 that runs down along the mississippi river - very flat with some lights every few miles. I started EOC in N to those lights and the car behaved same as my Altima. No bad effects that i could tell.

So i got a little more bold. - Crossing the Mississippi river on Interstate 10, the bridge has a long down slope - probably > 1 mile. So i EOC in N down this section. By the time i got to the bottom of it - i smelled something and there were no other cars around. I assumed it was the transmission starting to heat up the fluid way to high - so i stopped doing the EOC there and let the Fuel Cut off "save" the fuel.

I know every car is different - but based on what i saw - EOC to stop lights is probably not going to kill the car.. But EOC for > 1 mile at > 60MPH is probably not a very good thing to do.

Steve

First Milestone passed - 30 MPG (city) 5/15/08
Best City Tank - 8/31/09- 34.3 MPG (EPA= 20)
Best Highway Tank - 5/20/09 - 36.5 MPG (EPA= 28)
------
In effort to drive less:
Miles NOT driven in 2009 = 648 (Work from home and Alt Transporatation)