View Single Post
Old 05-27-2022, 03:44 PM   #17 (permalink)
diablote
EcoModding Lurker

Magnificent Maverick - '22 Ford Maverick XLT
90 day: 45.08 mpg (US)
Ever since I figured out how to get ~50 mpg in my stock 2005 Honda Civic LX, hypermiling has been a way of life for me. Adapting those techniques to the Maverick is what allowed me to start high. Favor engine-off-coasting, never brake, and never, ever trust a stale green light! And those short 90 mpg trips are little wins that raise the average—even if only by a little.

I've had to relearn how to brake in the Maverick. In both of my Civics (non-hybrid + hybrid) I learned to brake early and lightly. But the Maverick prefers increasing braking as I slow to maintain moderate charging. So I find myself uncomfortably braking more at the last minute—but still able to stop well short of where I intended.

One of the useful features of the Maverick Eco Mode is it forces the user to push the accelerator harder to engage the clutch and allow higher RPMs (which eat far more petrol). So I've been favoring ~20-30% power during acceleration bursts, which seems to keep the engine fully in gear. We'll see if this makes a difference...
The Following User Says Thank You to diablote For This Useful Post:
Isaac Zachary (05-27-2022)