View Single Post
Old 06-20-2022, 02:06 PM   #48 (permalink)
JSH
AKA - Jason

Adventure Seeker - '04 Chevy Astro - Campervan
90 day: 17.3 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,066 Times in 1,396 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post
I'm an EV fan, but he's not wrong about all EVs being soulless. They can be exhilarating, interesting, thrilling... but will always be soulless. The loss of the engine sound and the interesting way in which gears change and varying behavior of the engine performance depending on how its operated gives them soul that is lost when an EV speeds off making almost no sound and without any major peaks or valleys in torque, or gear changes.

The kids that grow up knowing nothing other than EVs will be absolutely delighted when they experience the old ICE vehicles and what a marvel of engineering they are. So many mechanical parts in perfect synchrony to convert expanding air into propulsion... it is like an organism with such complexity and nuance.
To each their own. 30 years ago I loved loud bikes and cars (and have the tinnitus to prove it) Today, I find them annoying to be around a drive. My last trip to NC I had a Challenger as a rental and the exhaust note was just obnoxious. It was fun for about 5 minutes and then just got old. 4 hours on the highway felt like punishment.

My first ride on a Zero motorcycle was a revelation. I didn't miss the noise or gear changes. Gliding along with nothing but wind noise made riding a bike feel even more like flying. The lack of gear changes was one less thing to distract from hitting the apex just right.

The lack of exhaust noise also makes it easier to drive at the limit. You hear the tires start to squeal much sooner than when it is drowned out by a loud exhaust.
The Following User Says Thank You to JSH For This Useful Post:
redpoint5 (06-20-2022)