Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > General Efficiency Discussion
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-18-2022, 04:13 PM   #41 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Geo XL1 - '94 Geo Metro
Team Metro
Boat tails and more mods
90 day: 72.22 mpg (US)

Big, Bad & Flat - '01 Dodge Ram 3500 SLT
Team Cummins
90 day: 21.13 mpg (US)
Thanked 1,353 Times in 711 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdb View Post
Another take on ethanol with some interesting twists, especially coming from where it does -- Hagerty is an enthusiast auto insurer.

https://www.hagerty.com/media/opinio...and-the-planet

That was a good read...

>

Woke means you're a loser....everything woke turns to ****.

Donald J Trump 8/21/21

Disclaimer...

I’m not a climatologist, aerodynamicist, virologist, physicist, astrodynamicist or marine biologist..

But...

I play one on the internet.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 06-18-2022, 05:20 PM   #42 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Cx9 - '18 Mazda CX9 Grand Touring
90 day: 31.41 mpg (US)

Prius - '10 Toyota Prius III
90 day: 57.8 mpg (US)

Tundra - '00 Tundra V6 long bed base work truck
90 day: 19.4 mpg (US)
Argonne National Laboratory study confirms that the initial land use change to produce more ethanol minimized the improvements in Carbon Intensity, but that those improvements are materializing now:

You can pick and choose which study you want to believe:

Aside from carbon, ethanol also reduce NOx emissions but this is somewhat offset by an increase in ground-level ozone.
Old 06-18-2022, 10:24 PM   #43 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Mazda CX-5 - '17 Mazda CX-5 Touring
90 day: 26.68 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD
Thanked 4,388 Times in 3,362 Posts
I'm an EV fan, but he's not wrong about all EVs being soulless. They can be exhilarating, interesting, thrilling... but will always be soulless. The loss of the engine sound and the interesting way in which gears change and varying behavior of the engine performance depending on how its operated gives them soul that is lost when an EV speeds off making almost no sound and without any major peaks or valleys in torque, or gear changes.

The kids that grow up knowing nothing other than EVs will be absolutely delighted when they experience the old ICE vehicles and what a marvel of engineering they are. So many mechanical parts in perfect synchrony to convert expanding air into propulsion... it is like an organism with such complexity and nuance.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!
The Following User Says Thank You to redpoint5 For This Useful Post:
pgfpro (06-19-2022)
Old 06-19-2022, 12:31 AM   #44 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,575 Times in 7,061 Posts
I thought the Hagerty articles best point was Ecosystem services. Adulterating gasoline takes food out of the mouths of beef cattle.

I was just a my brother's house and he got a relay for his motorcycle from UK. It was wrapped in newsprint from the Daily Telegraph. Which had an article the headline of which called out Green Petrol.

Now I thought petrol was short for petroleum. Apparently 'green' means it's adulterated. They invented English, I guess they can do whatever they want with it.

Old 06-19-2022, 05:10 PM   #45 (permalink)
wdb
lurker's apprentice

PlainJane - '12 Toyota Tacoma Base 4WD Access Cab
90 day: 20.98 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post
I'm an EV fan, but he's not wrong about all EVs being soulless. They can be exhilarating, interesting, thrilling... but will always be soulless. The loss of the engine sound and the interesting way in which gears change and varying behavior of the engine performance depending on how its operated gives them soul that is lost when an EV speeds off making almost no sound and without any major peaks or valleys in torque, or gear changes.

The kids that grow up knowing nothing other than EVs will be absolutely delighted when they experience the old ICE vehicles and what a marvel of engineering they are. So many mechanical parts in perfect synchrony to convert expanding air into propulsion... it is like an organism with such complexity and nuance.
Or they'll abhor them and wonder what those crazy old people see in them. There are a fair number of people my grandchildrens' age (and bit older) who would love nothing more than to be able to summon a transport pod, and have it whisk them hither and thither, with a mere glimpse at their iPhone.
The Following User Says Thank You to wdb For This Useful Post:
JSH (06-20-2022)
Old 06-19-2022, 06:40 PM   #46 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,575 Times in 7,061 Posts
Quote:
Or they'll abhor them and wonder what those crazy old people see in them.
Tinnitus.

The Following User Says Thank You to freebeard For This Useful Post:
JSH (06-20-2022)
Old 06-19-2022, 09:34 PM   #47 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,625 Times in 1,450 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSH View Post
The only thing in that article I found surprisingly was the last part about EVs being much more efficient than gas cars.
EVs might ultimately be more efficient, yet the ICE still has its advantages such as versatility. Odd enough, while running on biofuels which can rely on organic waste as a feedstock, eventually an ICE might fare even better when it comes to "sustainability", either directly as the motive power of a car or in a genset used to charge the batteries of an EV.

Quote:
Of course they had to add in that EVs have no soul and aren’t fun to drive.
Had EVs been all that exciting, Porsche would've never had to put a fake engine sound on the Taycan.

Quote:
Hagerty is a classic car insurer and write articles targeted at the old and conservative crowd you normally see at a classic car show.
Today there was a small car show near my neighborhood, with just a few cars on display and mostly Volkswagens, a '51 Chevrolet, a '48 Ford Deluxe coupé, a '62 Brazilian F-100 and a '28 Ford Model A Tudor, and 2 imports of the '90s which are still not officially considered "collectible" according to Brazilian law. Trust me, I have even seen some kinds of people who don't seem to be much interested about cars at all, taking a glance at the classics.
Old 06-20-2022, 02:06 PM   #48 (permalink)
JSH
AKA - Jason

Adventure Seeker - '04 Chevy Astro - Campervan
90 day: 17.3 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,066 Times in 1,396 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post

To each their own. 30 years ago I loved loud bikes and cars (and have the tinnitus to prove it) Today, I find them annoying to be around a drive. My last trip to NC I had a Challenger as a rental and the exhaust note was just obnoxious. It was fun for about 5 minutes and then just got old. 4 hours on the highway felt like punishment.

My first ride on a Zero motorcycle was a revelation. I didn't miss the noise or gear changes. Gliding along with nothing but wind noise made riding a bike feel even more like flying. The lack of gear changes was one less thing to distract from hitting the apex just right.

The lack of exhaust noise also makes it easier to drive at the limit. You hear the tires start to squeal much sooner than when it is drowned out by a loud exhaust.
The Following User Says Thank You to JSH For This Useful Post:
redpoint5 (06-20-2022)
Old 06-20-2022, 02:15 PM   #49 (permalink)
JSH
AKA - Jason

Adventure Seeker - '04 Chevy Astro - Campervan
90 day: 17.3 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,066 Times in 1,396 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cRiPpLe_rOoStEr View Post
Today there was a small car show near my neighborhood, with just a few cars on display and mostly Volkswagens, a '51 Chevrolet, a '48 Ford Deluxe coupé, a '62 Brazilian F-100 and a '28 Ford Model A Tudor, and 2 imports of the '90s which are still not officially considered "collectible" according to Brazilian law. Trust me, I have even seen some kinds of people who don't seem to be much interested about cars at all, taking a glance at the classics.
There is a huge difference between those that might walk by a car show and look at the cars and those that own the cars. Hagarty is interested in and writes content for owners of classic cars. Visit a classic car show in the USA and the vast majority of the owners will be from the boomer generation. A combination of the cars being from their youth and the fact that they cost tens of thousands to hundreds of thousands or even millions of dollars. An average run-of-the-mill 1965 Mustang is $35,000 - $40,000 Who is going to pay that for an old car that is by any objective measure inferior to the modern version? Old people reliving their youth.

The last large classic car show I visited was one at Portland International Raceway back in 2018. I went with my dad when he was visiting. He even commented that the crowd was nothing but old people (he is 75).
Old 06-20-2022, 02:40 PM   #50 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Mazda CX-5 - '17 Mazda CX-5 Touring
90 day: 26.68 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD
Thanked 4,388 Times in 3,362 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSH View Post
To each their own. 30 years ago I loved loud bikes and cars (and have the tinnitus to prove it) Today, I find them annoying to be around a drive. My last trip to NC I had a Challenger as a rental and the exhaust note was just obnoxious. It was fun for about 5 minutes and then just got old. 4 hours on the highway felt like punishment.

My first ride on a Zero motorcycle was a revelation. I didn't miss the noise or gear changes. Gliding along with nothing but wind noise made riding a bike feel even more like flying. The lack of gear changes was one less thing to distract from hitting the apex just right.

The lack of exhaust noise also makes it easier to drive at the limit. You hear the tires start to squeal much sooner than when it is drowned out by a loud exhaust.
What you describe sounds exhilarating, but not soulful.

I too am annoyed by needlessly noisy vehicles. In my view, an ICE should be as quiet as possible when driven normally, and have a monsterous reply when pushed hard.

I don't think it's just nostalgia either. I can marvel at the engineering of an old steam engine even though I have not lived when they were in common use.

EVs seem like utilitarian instruments that you simply scrap when the battery wears out. Of course, most ICE vehicles are this way too, and lack soul because they were designed as utilitarian instruments.

A passing EV won't stir my soul like listening to an old Beetle take off. The auditory experience is so crucial to the character of a vehicle. Heck, if Harley's sounded like Hondas, they would no longer be made.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!
Reply  Post New Thread