View Single Post
Old 06-20-2022, 02:15 PM   #49 (permalink)
JSH
AKA - Jason

Adventure Seeker - '04 Chevy Astro - Campervan
90 day: 17.3 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,067 Times in 1,397 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cRiPpLe_rOoStEr View Post
Today there was a small car show near my neighborhood, with just a few cars on display and mostly Volkswagens, a '51 Chevrolet, a '48 Ford Deluxe coupé, a '62 Brazilian F-100 and a '28 Ford Model A Tudor, and 2 imports of the '90s which are still not officially considered "collectible" according to Brazilian law. Trust me, I have even seen some kinds of people who don't seem to be much interested about cars at all, taking a glance at the classics.
There is a huge difference between those that might walk by a car show and look at the cars and those that own the cars. Hagarty is interested in and writes content for owners of classic cars. Visit a classic car show in the USA and the vast majority of the owners will be from the boomer generation. A combination of the cars being from their youth and the fact that they cost tens of thousands to hundreds of thousands or even millions of dollars. An average run-of-the-mill 1965 Mustang is $35,000 - $40,000 Who is going to pay that for an old car that is by any objective measure inferior to the modern version? Old people reliving their youth.

The last large classic car show I visited was one at Portland International Raceway back in 2018. I went with my dad when he was visiting. He even commented that the crowd was nothing but old people (he is 75).