View Single Post
Old 06-20-2022, 05:30 PM   #52 (permalink)
redpoint5
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Mazda CX-5 - '17 Mazda CX-5 Touring
90 day: 26.68 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD
Thanked 4,388 Times in 3,362 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSH View Post
Soulfulness is the seamless blending of man and machine to effortlessly link turn after turn perfectly. Noise does nothing to help that.

They both sound like they are running poorly even when properly tuned (I know from experience)

Harley still exists due to the blue-collar American-made macho image not the exhaust note. The Japanese made cruisers that sound like Harleys - they didn't sell because they were Japanese.
I have experienced what you describe of seamlessness between man and machine, and I define it differently as flow. I'm no longer riding a motorcycle; I have become the motorcycle. It's the character of the machine fading away as it bends towards the will of my muscle memory and subconscious feedback systems.

We're only disagreeing on the subjectiveness of "soul" when it comes to inanimate objects. At the end of the day, they are all mechanical appliances and by definition soulless.

As an aside, I dislike the sound of Harley's and enjoy the sewing machine precision sound of Honda 4 cylinders.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!